JOM20's 38g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No his belly is not caved in. My tank was overran with copepods when I purchased him.

Ummm....who's build thread is this?? Mine! Yay. :)

Not that I don't mind the comments and conversations, but please don't totally hijack my thread.

11 pages and alot of it isn't about my tank.

Kthx. :)

Pics of my stand to come.

Sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread! Can't wait to see the pics.

Natalie

hey you cant only blame me for your thread! you guys did it too! and you are the one that killed HN1 so that kind of cancels out all my badness! oh and one more thing.

LOLZ!

anyways. pl,ease do post pics. it is hard to just imagine what the tank and other stuff looks like. cant WAIT to see the base rock when you set it up! im sorry for the highjack, im just...yeah.

Stand pics:

before (crappy pic taken by my iphone) (i had already painted a door when i decided to take a pic)
img_1012258_0_6c6cc8814c52ee02a850a116aa2a95ad.jpg

after
img_1012258_1_5edbfcd0453f06ee7242440527651423.jpg

img_1012258_2_bb5f8f3e00a95b92ab0e538047fe76c1.jpg

I plan on getting some hardware for the doors.

I'm gonna get the tank on the stand tonight when my dad gets home (can't lift it myself). It will probably be tomorrow before I get it setup. I don't want to rinse sand in the dark. Plus that will give the polyurethane a long time to dry.

I bought some (deli) shrimp today to cycle with. I plan on using 2 of them. I had to buy a bunch though to get it to register on the scale...haha. Guess my parents can have some shrimp to eat soon (I don't eat seafood).

Last edited:
That's a very nice AQ stand. I can't wait to see the AQ on it . Be sure to level it. A couple of times I would get so excited about setting it up that I would forget to level it.LOL
I laugh because I was lucky that the floor was pretty level....

I bought it and just painted it.

Yeah, I can open the doors easily. Maybe I'll see how it works for me without knobs. :)

I'll remember to level it now. Thanks for the reminder!

Stand pics:

before (crappy pic taken by my iphone) (i had already painted a door when i decided to take a pic)
img_1012499_0_6c6cc8814c52ee02a850a116aa2a95ad.jpg

after
img_1012499_1_5edbfcd0453f06ee7242440527651423.jpg

img_1012499_2_bb5f8f3e00a95b92ab0e538047fe76c1.jpg

I plan on getting some hardware for the doors.

I'm gonna get the tank on the stand tonight when my dad gets home (can't lift it myself). It will probably be tomorrow before I get it setup. I don't want to rinse sand in the dark. Plus that will give the polyurethane a long time to dry.

I bought some (deli) shrimp today to cycle with. I plan on using 2 of them. I had to buy a bunch though to get it to register on the scale...haha. Guess my parents can have some shrimp to eat soon (I don't eat seafood).

Im sure your tank inhabitants will appreciate the fact that you dont eat seafood...:D

So I finally set the tank up today! Took me forever to do everything I wanted to do before setting it up, then it took forever to put the rock, sand, and water in! I only have 3 5g buckets, so I had to put 15g of RO/DI in then make more.

But here she is!
3797161176_d2541d6fb9.jpg

filling up

3797159696_6f424fd7ba.jpg

cloudy but you can see the awesome rocks!

This is without the live rock...it will be here tomorrow. :) I ended up using most of the base rock (maybe like 45lbs?). And I used around 40lbs of sand. I put eggcrate below the rocks. I had some here that I wasn't using for anything so I decided to use it. It makes me feel better about all that rock. Then I put the rocks in and then the sand. I made sure I got some sand under part of the rocks so it looked ok.

I might have to take out some of the base rock to make room for the live rock. I'm ok with that though! :)

I added some salt, but I might have to add more before I go to bed. SG was 1.020 and I added a bit more.

I attached the metal conduit to the stand before I filled the tank. I had to guestimate on the location for each since I don't have the light fixture yet. I looked at a pic on another forum that someone took and it looked like the holes for hanging were like 3-4 inches from the ends. We'll see I guess. I just hope I am able to hang the light, even if its just for when I'm doing maintenance, since the fixture is 12" across.

Thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom