Jordan's 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My bad, most trigger fish need 125 - 180 gallon tanks. Puffers can be aggressive. Just do some homework.

Always always. I would definitely rehome the trigger when it was too big. My lfs has a program for that. I've heard that about puffers. We're thinking a valentini puffer, which is typically considered peaceful. :)

This is how I feel today.

img_2545444_0_3161bee06691820594bbd5472d692f73.jpg

Another picture. :)

img_2545538_0_5c4af082bf9a802de896aa15f37b8fb9.jpg

Also, I may have crossed a line. I just sat here and picked my favorite rock. Lol.

Looks awesome. I wish I had the room/ support for a bigger tank

Thanks Tommy!! I got really lucky. I still have less than $300 in it (including cost of the tank) and its already cycling. Now I have to get an RO system so I can continue affording it.

They are never big enough...

That's the truth. I already wish this one was bigger. I just REALLY don't have the room and cash flow for that. This ones pushing it. Lol.

Subscribed. Your setup seems to be going well I'm definitely following. I'm thinking of doing a saltwater tank and I'm thinking of going the same route as you as far as starting fowlr and building towards a reef. If you don't mind me asking as of right now what have you spent?

Subscribed. Your setup seems to be going well I'm definitely following. I'm thinking of doing a saltwater tank and I'm thinking of going the same route as you as far as starting fowlr and building towards a reef. If you don't mind me asking as of right now what have you spent?

Thank you!!! actually had a 55 gallon reef first, downsized that reef to a 29 gallon biocube, and now I have this set up to cycle. I have about $400 invested. But I've bought everything online. I paid $160 for the tank (Craigslist) , $40 on all of the live rock(Craigslist), $30 on sand(lfs and craigslist) and $20 on water.

I already had my protein skimmer (reef octopus bh100) which usually runs $150-$200 and my powerheads (800 GPH powerheads) each was $18.99.

I also spent about $110 on the lights from my lfs.

I love it!

Thank you, Tony! I scrubbed the tank really good with diluted bleach, rinsed it, and let it sit for a couple weeks. I was worried that i hadn't rinsed it well enough, but when the water cleared I found some hermit crabs happily scavenging. So hopefully that means no bleach since I have relatively happy hitchhikers. :) I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. Lol.

I'm planning my 100 gallon reef. The tank is still very dirty (turtles) and sitting in my fish room. Plus, I am in school full time, so I don't have much time or money. So this is going to be a lot of research and a small amount of progress starting out.

Right now, I'm trying to decide on lights. It's a 6 foot tank. I'm seriously considering LEDs. Does anyone have any suggestions on good lights? What is the price range I will be looking at for high quality lights that will grow all corals? I am just now interested in LED lighting, so I don't know what my options are.

Thank you in advance! :)

LED lighting for a 6' reef it's very expensive probably $1000

I've had a lot of time to think about stocking and I have some questions. I've seen some tanks housing several ocellaris clown pairs. I've always loved that. Do you think I could get way with 3-4 pairs of ocellaris clowns? If I were to do that, what other stocking options would I have?

I'm also thinking
Powder blue tang
Scopas tang
2 engineer gobies
1 flame angel or coral beauty(unless they can be housed together)
Some chromis
Maybe a blue jaw trigger. I don't want him eating anyone. Lol.
Valentini pufferfish.

Anything that isn't compatible? Any advice?

I'm trying to keep it mostly reef safe just in case I decide to convert it at some point. I would only have to rehome a few of my fish instead of all of them.

An anemone is still in the question, also.

http://youtu.be/UVDHbUuTxqw

Powder blues tend to get quite aggressive in closed systems. I suggest against it. If it's blue you are after, go with an atlantic blue or hippo. If you like the shape, a powder brown would be a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom