Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uh oh, that's usually not a good sign. Hope all is well.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post

Um you mean the one that this thread is about? What happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
That was quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Uh oh, that's usually not a good sign. Hope all is well.
Yep! This one! Didn't mean to make it sound like a bad thing. For once its a good sign! All is well. I did a test on my tank, it isn't drillable. I did, however, find an already drilled 150 gallon with an existing sump for $200. I'm putting money down on it today and picking it up on Thursday. I know it's larger, and that in itself is more expensive, but the cost of building a sump will be gone and I will have more peace of mind with a drilled tank, even though I had started considering a hanging system.

I am definitely going to need to invest in an RODI system now though. Either way, I'm excited!

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

From a 55 to a 150 with a sump is awesome. Nice find. Now you need to start another thread. Lol.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
From a 55 to a 150 with a sump is awesome. Nice find. Now you need to start another thread. Lol.
Lol. Thanks! Ahhh. I don't want to start another new thread. Maybe a moderator could help me change it?

I'm super excited and pretty nervous. It's more complete. But I'm still insistent on having LED lights. So this will still definitely take a while! Plus, now I need even more rock and sand and everything. It's going to be so tall! I'm going to have to buy a step stool just for my tank. Lol.

25 gallon reef
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I had a super disappointing day. Went to the storage building to pick up the 150 gallon and his movers tore the top rim of the tank off. He had a 100 gallon tank that has about a 20 gallon sump with hanging plumbing system. I think it's quite a bit longer than my tank but not as wide. I didn't think it was enough different than mine to spend $200. He also was selling a 300 gallon tank that's drilled and has a sump. It's acrylic instead of glass. I'm just not sure I'm up to that challenge yet. Lol. Plus my boyfriend said that theres no way. So I'm going to assume I'm using the tank I have for now. If something else comes up between now and then, maybe something will change.

I've thought about maybe making an offer on this tank. They still have it.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/for/3801783079.html

And I WISH I could have this one. But there's no way I could drop $3,500. Even thought its probably worth it.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/for/3835953080.html

25 gallon reef
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A 300 gallon is a great tank size, but just the salt alone can get pretty expensive, not to mention lighting, big filtration and stocking. If you are unsure where to start, 100-150 gallons is a good compromise. And if its a long, shallower tank, you can even keep most tangs.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
A 300 gallon is a great tank size, but just the salt alone can get pretty expensive, not to mention lighting, big filtration and stocking. If you are unsure where to start, 100-150 gallons is a good compromise. And if its a long, shallower tank, you can even keep most tangs.
Yep. I agree. 300 gallons is way too much to take on when I'm this inexperienced. Would swapping my tank out for a longer one give me more stocking options?

25 gallon reef
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

IMO, if I had to choose the optimum tank it would be as long as possible. Most of the popular fish need room to swim laps. A shallower tank is easier to keep corals in and the lighting doesn't have to be as intense as a tank that's 30" or deeper as an example.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
IMO, if I had to choose the optimum tank it would be as long as possible. Most of the popular fish need room to swim laps. A shallower tank is easier to keep corals in and the lighting doesn't have to be as intense as a tank that's 30" or deeper as an example.
That's good info. Thanks! Did some measuring. Turns out he other tank only looked longer because the stand had 3 doors and mine has 2. So a little bummed, but still excited about this build.

25 gallon reef
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

My boyfriend joined the forum, since he now has his own tank. here's his thread!!! I know he would appreciate anyone following along and helping out.

Kyles's 25 gal nano

25 gallon reef

Tags
reef, gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com