Jordan's 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would a hippo tang be okay or is the tank too small?

I believe you'll be okay in a 6'. Never homed one before since I only have a 55 gallon.

Alright. That's what I REALLY want but I don't want to put anything in an environment it shouldn't be in. Lol.

Hippos grow out to about 6" and are very active. 18" of depth is not going to work very well IMO. I would suggest a Kole tang as an alternate.

Figured that was the case. What about a powder blue? Still too small?

A very small one would be no issue, but they grow fast and need plenty of room in all three dimensions. I have a rowdy 2" clown tang (named Bozo, only fish with a name at my house) in my 90 gallon frag tank. He is happy there right now, but he will have to be moved within the next year or two at the most. They aren't the easiest tang to raise and they tend to be real fighters, so until he gets bigger, my other tangs would take him out.

Last edited:
A very small one would be no issue, but they grow fast and need plenty of room in all three dimensions. I have a rowdy 2" clown tang (named Bozo, only fish with a name at my house) in my 90 gallon frag tank. He is happy there right now, but he will have to be moved within the next year or two at the most. They aren't the easiest tang to raise and they tend to be real fighters, so until he gets bigger, my other tangs would take him out.

Well, shoot. Thanks. Lol. That's why I'm asking questions. I really don't want to put something in that I have to take out. Especially since we don't really know exactly when stunting happens. I would feel guilty and it wouldn't be enjoyable. Lol. I do want to ask one last tang question, though. Is a yellow tang okay?

And I do appreciate you not going all tang police. Lol. I'm just trying to learn.

A yellow tang is pretty much in the same category. When small he would be fine in your system. Look at the adult size of the fish and that will tend to lead you in the right direction. I even have this problem in my 300. Some fish are just going to get too big to be comfortable in there, so I will eventually move them to a friend that has a big fish only system.

A yellow tang is pretty much in the same category. When small he would be fine in your system. Look at the adult size of the fish and that will tend to lead you in the right direction. I even have this problem in my 300. Some fish are just going to get too big to be comfortable in there, so I will eventually move them to a friend that has a big fish only system.

So having 100 gallons instead of 55 doesn't change what stock I can have much?

No, it does. And the shape of the tank does to. The basic idea is that some fish swim great distances during the day and some rarely move 12" from where they were born. Some fish like tangs can get stressed (and then sick) if they don't have some open swimming space and room in the tank for tang sized caves and holes.

No, it does. And the shape of the tank does to. The basic idea is that some fish swim great distances during the day and some rarely move 12" from where they were born. Some fish like tangs can get stressed (and then sick) if they don't have some open swimming space and room in the tank for tang sized caves and holes.

I mostly got this tank because I wanted a yellow tang or a hippo tang. :( if I need something bigger I want to get something bigger. Lol.

A 100 gallon is on the small side for most tangs, but with some careful layout a yellow tang, or a Kole tang would be okay. Hippos get big fast, but if you don't get too attached you can trade him in when that happens. My Hippo and various other tangs live in my 300 gallon. They as old as 10 years or more and fat. But honestly, I wish I had even a bigger tank for them. Believe it or not, the bigger the tank the stabler and easier to care for fish and coral in. The expense and maintenance work rises fast as well.

Last edited:
A 100 gallon is on the small side for most tangs, but with some careful layout a yellow tang, or a Kole tang would be okay. Hippos get big fast, but if you don't get too attached you can trade him in when that happens. My Hippo and various other tangs live in my 300 gallon. They as old as 10 years or more and fat. But honestly, I wish I had even a bigger tank for them. Believe it or not, the bigger the tank the stabler and easier to care for fish and coral in. The expense and maintenance work rises fast as well.

If I were to lay it out correctly (could you help me figure it out?) could I have a yellow tang and mimic lemon peel tang in the 100 gallon?

I have an engineer goby so I need to be pretty strategic about my rock placement.

If I were to lay it out correctly (could you help me figure it out?) could I have a yellow tang and mimic lemon peel tang in the 100 gallon?

Again, small ones yes. No guarantee on their happiness once they get big, but you will have time to contemplate what to do if the fish gets too big.

As far as layout, the tangs like to have caves they can swim thru and some crevasse where they can wedge themselves and feel safe for the night or to escape a fight.

Yeah. I understand that. That's how I feel. I've promised myself that I am going to get quality for this tank so I'm going to have to save up for the nice stuff. Lol.

Hey,

You post this a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to reply.. Just wanted to mention that going for quality is always best.. My rule of thumb for every thing.. 'quality over quantity'. Just wanted to say that 'off brand' stuff makes some good quality equipment, I.E. TaoTronic LED lights. If you are looking to upgrade your skimmer, look at SWC Aquarium protein skimmers. I got mine off of ebay for $120 shipped. Also, I have a couple of sunsun powerheads (also off ebay for a fraction of the cost) that are doing great. For a bigger tank like that to, look at a Jebo wp40. A lot like the vortech mp40 but, again, a fraction of the price. There is a thread somewhere on here about it.. I am waiting to get one.. Been a rough couple of months for me with the transmission going out on my truck >_<

Like I said, Quality over quantity, but don't overpay for a brand name.

Following :)

I am running a 100watt, 14k evo led light fixture. 90 degree optics 14k whites, 450blues, 460 blues, I love this fixture only problem is they are more expensive and they don't make the 14k whites no more now they have 6500 whites but it is supposed to be just as good. Only downfall I see is the $300 per fixture price range

I do hear about about tao tonics but can't say I've personally seen them. I have seen reefbreeders led fixtures and they are in the same price range and seem to be good from what I've seen and heard. Several of our local reef club members use them

I have all kinds of corals around 40-50 different species including softies, lps, sps, shrooms, zoas and the list goes on and I actually have a fixture that is too small it's rated for a 24" area I'm running it on a 30" area but raised a little higher

I can't answer any questions about larger fish... wish I could :)

Did you ever get your sump figured out? I just finished building mine last week

Back
Top Bottom