Jordan's 100 gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning my 100 gallon reef. The tank is still very dirty (turtles) and sitting in my fish room. Plus, I am in school full time, so I don't have much time or money. So this is going to be a lot of research and a small amount of progress starting out.

Right now, I'm trying to decide on lights. It's a 6 foot tank. I'm seriously considering LEDs. Does anyone have any suggestions on good lights? What is the price range I will be looking at for high quality lights that will grow all corals? I am just now interested in LED lighting, so I don't know what my options are.

Thank you in advance! :)

These are the ones I bought. My tank is 4ft so I bought these 2 units. You may need 3 or 4 for a 6ft tank - I'm not sure - someone will probably chime in.

Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black US | eBay

Subscribed. I'll help where I can. Taotronics seems to be the best bang for your buck. Search: lighting your reef... best bang four your buck.

Taos are great, I got two for my 55 and they are awesome.. I have a monti cap existing with growth, a birdsnest branching out and softies growing great.. The dimmable part is awesome to. Separate chords for the blue and white so easy to use with timers and finding a color temp you like.. Very strong to, you can keep anything you want under them

Thanks everyone. If I were to get taotronics, how many of them would I have to buy for a 6 ft tank? And how often would I have to replace them?

What are the dimensions of the tank? They cover a good 24 inches so there's a reference.. As far as changing, you won't have have to worry about that for at least a few years

What are the dimensions of the tank? They cover a good 24 inches so there's a reference.. As far as changing, you won't have have to worry about that for at least a few years

Awesome. It's 72" long and 18" deep.

Should be about $450 w. free shipping. If you buy 2 together like the one I posted its about $288 and a third separate would be about $150-160

Because the 100 is such a shallow tank, I think you might get away with just 2 lights hung a bit higher for the 3' spread.

Should be about $450 w. free shipping. If you buy 2 together like the one I posted its about $288 and a third separate would be about $150-160

Awesome. :) Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing yours all set up. :) I know I mostly creep, but I do keep up with your thread. Lol.

Because the 100 is such a shallow tank, I think you might get away with just 2 lights hung a bit higher for the 3' spread.

Cool. I may as well try that. I can always add an extra light if I need one.

Is it better to build braces to hold them over the tank or to hang them from the ceiling? I could post a picture of the back of my stand if that would help.

Awesome. :) Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing yours all set up. :) I know I mostly creep, but I do keep up with your thread. Lol.

haha thanks i appreciate it. I cant wait to get them they will arrive friday. I ordered them yesterday - pretty quick shipping for free. I'll be posting up pics when I get them. I just gotta figure out how high to hang them and how to hang them lol

Lol. That's how I feel already and my tank isn't even set up. I'm already worried about torching everything. That is really fast shipping for free. Do they sell lights on the regular? I might would buy from that buyer if you have a good experience. :)

I would assume so. I have been checking back and forth for a couple of months since I came across them on the best bang for your buck thread. I just didn't want to drop 300 on lights for a fish tank. I love the hobby but have no money to put into this tank. Then I realized that I can put more corals in the tank with the leds and have them thrive and be more successfull. Also, it's more energy effecient and I dont have to swap out bulbs.

I would assume so. I have been checking back and forth for a couple of months since I came across them on the best bang for your buck thread. I just didn't want to drop 300 on lights for a fish tank. I love the hobby but have no money to put into this tank. Then I realized that I can put more corals in the tank with the leds and have them thrive and be more successfull. Also, it's more energy effecient and I dont have to swap out bulbs.

Yeah. I understand that. That's how I feel. I've promised myself that I am going to get quality for this tank so I'm going to have to save up for the nice stuff. Lol.

I haven't thought much about stocking. What kind of tangs would go well in a 6 foot tank? And do tangs need to go into a well established tank? I want to thoroughly research everything before I make any decisions. I figured asking for recommendations here is a great place to start. :)

Most tangs do very well in a 6' tank because it gives them sufficient swimming room. If you introduce more than 1 tang to the tank make sure it's done at the same time. Check compatibility. As long as you acclimate the fish properly, it doesn't have to go into a well established tank. Just make sure the params and temp match and you'll be fine. They like meaty foods as well as a mixed diet of greens/nori.

Most tangs do very well in a 6' tank because it gives them sufficient swimming room. If you introduce more than 1 tang to the tank make sure it's done at the same time. Check compatibility. As long as you acclimate the fish properly, it doesn't have to go into a well established tank. Just make sure the params and temp match and you'll be fine. They like meaty foods as well as a mixed diet of greens/nori.

I'm thinking maybe a yellow tang and a powder blue tang? Thanks for the info. :)

Back
Top Bottom