Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But you used it anyway :)!! I hear yah, let us know how the build goes. Might be the perfect time to build a stand that holds a sump... :)
Just sayin'.

Lol. It is good enough to hold it. I just don't want to test my luck! I'm going to build a stand that will hold one but I can't have one till I move. Which will probably be almost a year. Lol. But soon. :) I'll let you know when everything starts. I'm excited. I'm going to build a canopy for it.

What about phosphates of you don't have a phosphate test your gonna need one.

Here is my video for today. Lol.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums...4-9F7C-CD12C169ED48-1801-000001F970E1E57A.mp4

And some pictures. :)

img_2377120_0_132181bdf7ab17bfe73431558453d156.jpg

img_2377120_1_4e3f6e7c9985be5bec1bbff49398bde4.jpg

img_2377120_2_e35ddbb9cf471e18d50a624fe27d8ab0.jpg

img_2377120_3_6ef000c1c907d2c88c27f22f199f1f3b.jpg

Other than ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, what other stuff should I be testing for? What is the significance of all of them?

Other than ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, what other stuff should I be testing for? What is the significance of all of them?

Ammonia poisoning is the single most deadly killer of fish grown in aquariums. Most of the times, Ammonia levels build up just after a new tank is set up. But, Ammonia levels can also go up when the tank "load" or the number of fish in a tank is just too high for the tank capacity.

Phosphates are a primary nutrient source for many forms of algae, particularly green hair species, so when high concentrations are allowed to accumulate in an aquarium, it opens the door for aggressive algae blooms to occur.

Ammonia poisoning is the single most deadly killer of fish grown in aquariums. Most of the times, Ammonia levels build up just after a new tank is set up. But, Ammonia levels can also go up when the tank "load" or the number of fish in a tank is just too high for the tank capacity.

Phosphates are a primary nutrient source for many forms of algae, particularly green hair species, so when high concentrations are allowed to accumulate in an aquarium, it opens the door for aggressive algae blooms to occur.

Ahh. Makes sense. I knew about ammonia. The phosphates are something I didn't know. Thanks! :)

No problem. I'm trying to get them out of my 120 while basically scraping the top layer of my sand out of my tank.... This stuff is NASTY...

No problem. I'm trying to get them out of my 120 while basically scraping the top layer of my sand out of my tank.... This stuff is NASTY...

I bet! I used my new tongs the other today to pick some cyano off of my sand. It was way too easy. Nasty stuff for sure! I'm gone now and my brother is taking care of my tank for a week. My light timer is set to ship to his house any day and he is going to set it up for me. Best brother ever? I think so. Weird leaving my tank for that long though.

I personally test for:
Calcium*
Kh*
Magnesium*
Alkalinity*
Ph*
Potassium (I carbon dose)
Phosphate*
Ammonia*
Nitrite*
Nitrate*
Salinity* (via Refractometer)
O2 (yes I know it unneeded but a lot of people have gas exchange problems due to bad water circulation so I wanted to be sure I wasn't one of them)
Copper
Iron

I put stars next to the ones we reefaholics highly reccomend. I only use salifert but API and tons of other cheaper brands work as well. The first 4 are not required because you don't have that many corals yet but once have more your gonna likely need them. This probably sounds complicated but do a lot of research on reef aquarium chemistry. I'm only 14 and I no longer find this part of the hobby confusing but I did 3 years ago.

P.s. kh and alkalinity are the samething just forgot that I had already said kh.

I personally test for:
Calcium*
Kh*
Magnesium*
Alkalinity*
Ph*
Potassium (I carbon dose)
Phosphate*
Ammonia*
Nitrite*
Nitrate*
Salinity* (via Refractometer)
O2 (yes I know it unneeded but a lot of people have gas exchange problems due to bad water circulation so I wanted to be sure I wasn't one of them)
Copper
Iron

I put stars next to the ones we reefaholics highly reccomend. I only use salifert but API and tons of other cheaper brands work as well. The first 4 are not required because you don't have that many corals yet but once have more your gonna likely need them. This probably sounds complicated but do a lot of research on reef aquarium chemistry. I'm only 14 and I no longer find this part of the hobby confusing but I did 3 years ago.

Thank you for this great list! I'm going to have to do some research and work on getting some new tests. :) I want everything to be taken care of perfectly.

As I said, I am away from my fish tanks for a week, which really sucks, but I got a really exciting surprise when I got home. Please please please check out my new thread! I need y'alls help! I just started a new thread for the subject.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f44/please-help-me-decide-251929.html

Red sea Pro, salifert, and Hanna 736 for PO4 are the most accurate kits. I wouldn't mess with API. You really get what you pay for. The nice thing about Red Sea Pro is once you buy the kit they sell refills

Red sea Pro, salifert, and Hanna 736 for PO4 are the most accurate kits. I wouldn't mess with API. You really get what you pay for. The nice thing about Red Sea Pro is once you buy the kit they sell refills

Cool. I am looking into that. My current tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH) are API. Ill give the other guys a shot. Not the first time I've heard that. Shouldn't be hard since I like to order things online. I've been using a hydrometer to test salinity. What's the difference between that and a refractometer? Should I make a switch?

Cool. I am looking into that. My current tests (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH) are API. Ill give the other guys a shot. Not the first time I've heard that. Shouldn't be hard since I like to order things online. I've been using a hydrometer to test salinity. What's the difference between that and a refractometer? Should I make a switch?

A refractometer is more accurate.

Measures the Total Dissolved Solvents in your water. I use it to check the RO/DI water I make. The average in tap water is about 150. My water is 132 and the RO/DI I make is at 0. Gets the metals chlorine arsenic, etc. out of your water. And, it's great for coffee & tea :)

Measures the Total Dissolved Solvents in your water. I use it to check the RO/DI water I make. The average in tap water is about 150. My water is 132 and the RO/DI I make is at 0. Gets the metals chlorine arsenic, etc. out of your water. And, it's great for coffee & tea :)

That's awesome! :) if I invest in an rodi system, I will def invest in one of those. :) I don't drink the tap water where I live anyway. Very high arsenic and chlorine levels. I know too much. Lol

Back
Top Bottom