Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #191
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, my tank really needs a top off. Should I top off before or after my water change? I have 8 gallons of freshwater and 14-15 gallons of saltwater to work with.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #192
Aquarium Advice Activist

Before not after

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #193
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea don't be discouraged. Last year I lost every one of the 25 fish in my 150 fowlr while on vacation turns out my "friend" didn't even come over once I did a 95% water change and turned it into a lps reef that I took down just last week. Every fish in the tank cost at least $70 I was über mad.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #194
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydouhnut View Post
Before not after
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannydouhnut View Post
Yea don't be discouraged. Last year I lost every one of the 25 fish in my 150 fowlr while on vacation turns out my "friend" didn't even come over once I did a 95% water change and turned it into a lps reef that I took down just last week. Every fish in the tank cost at least $70 I was über mad.
Thank you for that! This is the most dedicated I've ever been to a tank, the most money I've spent, and I've been really careful to do everything correctly. I did a 25% water change and then topped off with about 5 gallons of fresh distilled water. I know RO is better but I didn't have enough containers to have both. Lol. I also added 2 emerald crabs. I didn't really want to add anything new, but I'm having a serious bubble algae problem and I heard they might help a little. My peppermint shrimp are MIA. The only coral I'm extremely worried about is my hammer. He may not make it. My brittle star is still kicking and I know my snails are. My one clown is also alive and well. He ate good today, so that helped my nerves a little. I will post my parameters ASAP.

25 gallon reef
Old 03-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #195
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was going to wait to post a video, but if I'm going to track my real progress then I have to post things when it doesn't look so great. My corals are still very very upset. Now the worst they've ever looked. Especially my pulsing Xenia and hammer coral. I'm hoping maybe they'll calm down. please let me know if the video doesn't work. I did get my protein skimmer set up though.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...3ECF92CE6B.mp4

Also, I realized that with the 2 puny powerheads and the protein skimmer along with one HOB, I officially have no dead spots in my tank! The emerald crabs have almost completely eaten all of the bubble algae.

25 gallon reef
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #196
Aquarium Advice Addict

My corals look a little happier today. The first pic is how they looked when i came home. Hammer still doesnt look great and the kenya trees are still pissed off about everything.

25 gallon reef
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #197
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But it looks like you avoided a disaster . I'm still dealing with this overrun of hair algae, but I've only added the second treatment today. Hopefully within a weeks time ill be able to start sifting the dead stuff off my sand
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #198
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz View Post
But it looks like you avoided a disaster . I'm still dealing with this overrun of hair algae, but I've only added the second treatment today. Hopefully within a weeks time ill be able to start sifting the dead stuff off my sand
I like to think so. I have cut my light cycle down to 6 hours per day, so I think that's going to maybe help with my algae problems. Plus hopefully I'll get a cleaner pack soon. has it slowed down at all?

25 gallon reef
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #199
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay33 View Post

I like to think so. I have cut my light cycle down to 6 hours per day, so I think that's going to maybe help with my algae problems. Plus hopefully I'll get a cleaner pack soon. has it slowed down at all?
Sadly no... The back of my tank looks like a putting green . I'll give it a week+ before I go in with a shovel and "skim" the sand :-(
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #200
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just outa curiosity what kinda of filtration are you using?

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com