Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it on carpet? If its not you would be surprised how easily it will slide. Key is to slide it from the bottom of the stand, don't slide from the top cause that's where all the weight is and you don't want to tip it. I've slid my 55 easily and I just slid my father in laws 65 today. Like I said slide
It from the bottom of the stand and it will be fine. If it is carpet you may need a friend to help
Lift and slide but if you do it during a water change it won't be bad. Now that being said for an ATO ( at least the one I have) I ran it on my 55 before upgrading and it was easy to mount a d required no space from the wall. The website I listed above has multiple options for what you want. I got the "bend it yourself" mounts and with a little heat you can custom mount your floats and like I said they require no space behind the tank.

Is it on carpet? If its not you would be surprised how easily it will slide. Key is to slide it from the bottom of the stand, don't slide from the top cause that's where all the weight is and you don't want to tip it. I've slid my 55 easily and I just slid my father in laws 65 today. Like I said slide
It from the bottom of the stand and it will be fine. If it is carpet you may need a friend to help
Lift and slide but if you do it during a water change it won't be bad. Now that being said for an ATO ( at least the one I have) I ran it on my 55 before upgrading and it was easy to mount a d required no space from the wall. The website I listed above has multiple options for what you want. I got the "bend it yourself" mounts and with a little heat you can custom mount your floats and like I said they require no space behind the tank.

That's awesome! I don't understand where the water for the top off is stored? I will have to take a picture of my stand and post it. It's not near sturdy enough to be moving it around. Lol. It makes me uncomfortable that my tank is even sitting on it. I'll have a new one soon and I'll place it in the right place. Lol. It really is a pitiful sight. I want to decide on the top off before building a stand, in case I can incorporate it into my stand.

The top off is simply a container full of rodi water. You can make it any size or shape or use whatever you may have on hand. I use a ten gallon tank I had kickin around.

The top off is simply a container full of rodi water. You can make it any size or shape or use whatever you may have on hand. I use a ten gallon tank I had kickin around.

Alright. Thank you. My next question is this, if i have bad evaporation with 55 gallons, won't I have worse evaporation in a small container?

A big factor in the evaporation is the water movement from powerheads and such. There is the possibility for evap from the ATO reservoir but a lid can minimize that. 5g pail for example with a notch in the lid for the hose and wire for the pump.

A big factor in the evaporation is the water movement from powerheads and such. There is the possibility for evap from the ATO reservoir but a lid can minimize that. 5g pail for example with a notch in the lid for the hose and wire for the pump.

Great. That makes sense. :) I'm going to work on that as well. I really thought you had to have an RO system to do that! I'm a little excited! Lol.

Don't need a rodi system but the top up should be rodi water.

Of course. Tap water doesn't even touch the outside of my tank. Lol. Do you by any chance have a picture of your ATO?

Here is a pic of mine. The two white bulb things are the floats and behind them is the hose coming in. I have two floats so if one sticks the other one will shut down the pump.

Attachments

• image-2132487921.jpg
    image-2132487921.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 102
Here is a pic of mine. The two white bulb things are the floats and behind them is the hose coming in. I have two floats so if one sticks the other one will shut down the pump.

Thanks! I was looking into building a stand, then I was thinking maybe i would just buy a new tank since there are several things that I don't like about mine. Came across this. I'm in deep guys.

img_2466221_0_d28c2b06e8c29a81e0809c676a42350d.jpg

As long as it doesn't leak or have any cracks I would buy it. You have everything you need for it on your 55. Your brother can just build the right size stand.

As long as it doesn't leak or have any cracks I would buy it. You have everything you need for it on your 55. Your brother can just build the right size stand.

That's the plan! I'm so excited! And it's drilled for an overflow and a sump. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning at 10, since the guys working tonight.

I don't have anyone to help me load it up, so that ones a no go. I did go look at a 100 gallon today to make sure it was really a 6 ft tank and that it holds water. I'm thinking that will be my upgrade. I was not going to upgrade, but they're asking 300 and I wouldn't pay much less for a 55. I'm going to try and haggle just a little. I'm hoping a larger amount of water will be easier to manage, plus, this one has a brace. It will need a lot of cleaning. There's a turtle in there now.

img_2466490_0_d42202796712fe5e9a6b34aac0ffe54f.jpg

Then you can use your 55 as a sump. 155 gallons total water volume. So jealous.

Then you can use your 55 as a sump. 155 gallons total water volume. So jealous.

Ahhh. I wish!! See, that's the catch! Broke college student, here. Lol. I'm going to have to sell my 55 or afford this tank. But I think it'll be worth it. I want the drilled one. If I got the drilled one, it would be cheap enough that my 55 would be my sump, hands down.

Back
Top Bottom