Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just hang a large shrimp inside a media bag or something similar. The decaying shrimp will give your Bb something to feed on!

Just hang a large shrimp inside a media bag or something similar. The decaying shrimp will give your Bb something to feed on!

Cool. Thank you! So shrimp in panty hoes will work? Can I use a thawed frozen shrimp out of the grocery section?

Yeah. Perfect. It will be slow at first but once the shrimp starts to decay is when you'll notice all the parameters start to fluctuate and things will start to really work.

Yeah. Perfect. It will be slow at first but once the shrimp starts to decay is when you'll notice all the parameters start to fluctuate and things will start to really work.

Thanks for the info. How big of an ammonia spike should I expect? And when do I know when my cycle has completed?

Should I wait to add the ammonia source until more rock?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I'm about to check my parameters right now. I haven't added a shrimp yet. I'm just curious and like playing with my testing kit.... Lol.
How often do I need to be checking my parameters once I add a good ammonia source?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I'm about to check my parameters right now. I haven't added a shrimp yet. I'm just curious and like playing with my testing kit.... Lol.
How often do I need to be checking my parameters once I add a good ammonia source?

If your ocd like me you'll check it every day. Lol. Post tonight's results so we can follow the process. Every other day will be ok till Trites and trates spike.

If your ocd like me you'll check it every day. Lol. Post tonight's results so we can follow the process. Every other day will be ok till Trites and trates spike.

Lol. My life is chaos. So I'll probably test it regularly, just not on a set schedule. I will post the results when I am done testing.

When Trites and trates spike over what you can read on your test kit do a 50% water change and start testing daily.

When Trites and trates spike over what you can read on your test kit do a 50% water change and start testing daily.

Okay. Awesome. Do I pull the shrimp out when they spike?

I've not done it with a shrimp, only pure ammonia in fresh water. I would say no. Wait till the tank is at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. At that point pull the shrimp, do a big water change to get rid of nitrate.

I've not done it with a shrimp, only pure ammonia in fresh water. I would say no. Wait till the tank is at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite. At that point pull the shrimp, do a big water change to get rid of nitrate.

Okay. Great. Thanks!

It's been a few days since we heard from ya. What are your parameters?

Ok, your not adding ammonia just using the shrimp, correct? Your processing ammonia and nitrite at this point, that's good. What's your PH reading?

Ok, your not adding ammonia just using the shrimp, correct? Your processing ammonia and nitrite at this point, that's good. What's your PH reading?

Awesome. I haven't added shrimp but there are several dead bristle worms. I will check my PH right now.

img_2326486_0_5f12523e58c762460787226251bdd72d.jpg

I believe it looks like an 8.

Here's the tank today. I had a malfunction/almost electrical fire with the canister filter the other day, so filtration is awful right now. That's why I haven't added the shrimp yet.

img_2326486_1_91764b420370d3cbc755dcfe5554cff9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom