Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #351
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Sheesh!! 15 gallons of top of in one week? That's crazy. Something sounds wrong there. Is there a rain cloud forming in your room. Lol. I buy 10 gallons of salt water and 5 gallons of top off every week and the top off usually last me a week no problem and I usually have top of left over by the end of the week.
Lol. Nope. I live in the driest part of Texas. I really just need to cover it. I'm just a full time college student with no job, so it's difficult to buy things all the time. Lol. I keep up with water changes. That's what matters, I guess.
__________________

__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #352
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
apet66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,164
Just keep an eye on your salinity. It's definitely looking better! Just take it slow. A lid of some type will definitely help with your evaporation issue. With no center brace it will be a challenge though.
__________________

__________________
apet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #353
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Just keep an eye on your salinity. It's definitely looking better! Just take it slow. A lid of some type will definitely help with your evaporation issue. With no center brace it will be a challenge though.

Here is a video. I got some new live rock!

Salinity is golden. right at 1.25. My brother and I are going to build me one when we build a stand. (A brace and a lid. Lol.)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...9AB288D6DA.mp4
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #354
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jaketit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 449
Maybe next time you do a water change scrape that red algae of the back glass and siphon it out. It's looking good though.
__________________
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #355
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
apet66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,164
Looks better with more rock now. Coral and fish look healthy and happy. It's coming along nicely. I agree about the algae on the back glass. Astraea, cerith, nerite or Mexican turbo snails will help keep that glass clean for you. And their not that expensive.
__________________
apet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #356
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Maybe next time you do a water change scrape that red algae of the back glass and siphon it out. It's looking good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Looks better with more rock now. Coral and fish look healthy and happy. It's coming along nicely. I agree about the algae on the back glass. Astraea, cerith, nerite or Mexican turbo snails will help keep that glass clean for you. And their not that expensive.
Thanks guys! I'm really proud of it even though i have a ways to go. The red algae is starting to bite the dust. It was WAY worse a few days ago. Lol. But I moved an 800 gph power head to the back and it's helped tremendously. I have about 40 hermit crabs, will the snails instantly become a snack?
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #357
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
apet66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,164
My blue leg hermits don't mess with my snails at all. They just beat each other up. Lol
__________________
apet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #358
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
My blue leg hermits don't mess with my snails at all. They just beat each other up. Lol
Lol. I have so many different kinds I couldn't even tell you what they are! All different colors of legs. Lol. All my snails have disappeared. Maybe I'll get a few and they'll learn to stay on the glass. Not likely. But maybe. Lol
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #359
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Mr. Crabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 346
FWIW I don't believe in heavy water changes on a reef tank as is the case with a heavily stocked FOWLR. I have had better luck with only changing 5-10 percent every 4-6 weeks. I have softies and LPS. It seems like the more I forget to do water changes, the better everything does. Counterintuitive. I know.

And a 15 gallon evaporation rate weekly on a 55 sounds like an auto top off system might be crucial to success in your reef. Your salinity is going to fluctuate like crazy and make it hard to establish stability for growth.
__________________
where's me money
Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #360
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs View Post
FWIW I don't believe in heavy water changes on a reef tank as is the case with a heavily stocked FOWLR. I have had better luck with only changing 5-10 percent every 4-6 weeks. I have softies and LPS. It seems like the more I forget to do water changes, the better everything does. Counterintuitive. I know.

And a 15 gallon evaporation rate weekly on a 55 sounds like an auto top off system might be crucial to success in your reef. Your salinity is going to fluctuate like crazy and make it hard to establish stability for growth.
Thanks for the info. There is a ridiculous amount of evaporation. I don't think it's quite 15. But it's at least 10-12 my brother lives right up the road and was able to fix the problem with just a lid on his. I'm hoping that will work.
__________________

__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.