Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #411
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Awesome information guys! Thank you so much! I'm thinking that i want to put a sump on my 100 gallon. (Probably a 40 gallon breeder or something similar.) so that really helped me understand kind of how to put it together, because I will be building it.

Kevin, thanks for following. I would definitely love to put an ATO together. I will probably go with whatever is cheapest. If I am going to have a sump, there's no excuse not to have one. Lol.

Do y'all by chance know who to contact to drill my tank? Like a window shop? Do they have just standard glass shops? I've never done this before. Kind of my first high tech-ish setup. I definitely have to drill this tank to have a sump. I live in an apartment, so it's really really important to have a proper over flow back into my display. Too much liability with 140+ gallons of water. Lol. I can't risk gravity draining it all!

Thanks for the great responses. I'm really trying to learn and research before I do anything at all and I'm prepared to wait to set this up correctly. I feel like I rushed into my 55 a little. I don't want to make the same mistake again.
__________________

__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #412
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jaketit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 449
It seemed you had a pretty nice little setup that needed some tweaking and a lot more time invested and now your jumping into a 100 gallon with a tight budget and little knowledge now you have to get new lights, a bigger skimmer, build a sump, buy a lot more sand and rock and you have a hard time doing water changes and topping off. Once again I'm not trying to bash you but if I were you I would sell that crags list tank and try and perfect the 55 gallon first. SORRY just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #413
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
It seemed you had a pretty nice little setup that needed some tweaking and a lot more time invested and now your jumping into a 100 gallon with a tight budget and little knowledge now you have to get new lights, a bigger skimmer, build a sump, buy a lot more sand and rock and you have a hard time doing water changes and topping off. Once again I'm not trying to bash you but if I were you I would sell that crags list tank and try and perfect the 55 gallon first. SORRY just my opinion.
Well, that's not what I want to do. As I said in my last post I'm not jumping into anything.
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #414
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Also, I am here to learn and not to be judged. So if your opinion is rude or demeaning to me and the way I'm trying to learn(by experience), please keep it to yourself. Thanks.
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #415
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bskerrichard27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,170
The 100g will be easier to maintain anyways so I think the 100g is better to learn with than a 55. And the 100 will be more forgiving to parameter swings
__________________
bskerrichard27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #416
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
apet66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,164
You've learned a lot of lessons the hard way with the 55. You are asking questions and have the desire to do things the right way. You recognize your on a budget. If you take it one step at a time you'll be fine. This is a hobby that requires dedication, which you have. Bottom line is, this is something you enjoy and are passionate about so people shouldn't bash you for the decisions you make. Offer advice and solutions when asked for help not opinions. Take it slow and do it to the best of your ability Jordan. Were here to help.
__________________
apet66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #417
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bskerrichard27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,170
When I first got my 55 I had a hob filter and a undergravel filter with two t8 lights ..I had a iron stand and everyone bashed me because of my set up .. Now those same people can't believe its the same tank with a thriving reef..
__________________
bskerrichard27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #418
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jaketit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 449
In no way am I trying to be rude. If that's the way you want to take it then thats on you. I'm just stating what I have seen from this tread. I've been following since February as an avid 55 gallon reefer myself. I enjoy looking and learning from this site all the time. But!!!! When I post stuff I take everyone's opinions into consideration good or bad. That's how you learn. I was simply stating that you said you were on a tight budget and couldn't afford most stuff that was suggested for your 55 and now your doubling your tank. Sorry you took it the wrong way. And judging by your last video, I wouldn't say it's "thriving". :p
__________________
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #419
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jmay33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27 View Post
The 100g will be easier to maintain anyways so I think the 100g is better to learn with than a 55. And the 100 will be more forgiving to parameter swings
Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
You've learned a lot of lessons the hard way with the 55. You are asking questions and have the desire to do things the right way. You recognize your on a budget. If you take it one step at a time you'll be fine. This is a hobby that requires dedication, which you have. Bottom line is, this is something you enjoy and are passionate about so people shouldn't bash you for the decisions you make. Offer advice and solutions when asked for help not opinions. Take it slow and do it to the best of your ability Jordan. Were here to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27 View Post
When I first got my 55 I had a hob filter and a undergravel filter with two t8 lights ..I had a iron stand and everyone bashed me because of my set up .. Now those same people can't believe its the same tank with a thriving reef..
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm excited about it. I wouldn't have upgraded, except the cost was the same as building a new stand and it was something I wanted to do anyway. It will probably be August or maybe even December before I put water in it. I have plenty of time to learn and do everything just how it needs to be done. I've been making phone calls trying to get my tank drilled, but its the weekend and most places are closed. I'm going to paint the back of this tank black. Is it better to do that before or after I have it drilled?
__________________
"All men are equal before fish." - Herbert Hoover

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #420
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
kwandrsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nunnelly Tennessee
Posts: 2,072
I have faith in you
Main thing. .. ask. Ask and then ask some more.
Even if I think I'm positive on an answer I still ask to get other opinions.

Plus most people say the bigger the easier. So imo go for it.

I'm jeaous I wish I had a 100 gallon. Heck even a 55 lol

I would drill first then paint. What happens if the unspeakable happens while its being drilled then you wasted time and paint, ya know what I mean?
__________________

__________________
kwandrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.