Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #441
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Look into drilling it, we have a petstore here that drills tanks for 20 bucks a hole. Just make sure you tell if it's tempered or not, if there's no sticker saying it is.. There is a way to test your glass.. I just drilled a 125, for a upcoming reef tank. Using a 55 gallon for sump.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #442
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay33 View Post

I agree.

My boyfriend keeps talking about wanting a Bamboo shark. To put things in perspective, I sent him this to show what we'd need. Lol.

http://lubbock.craigslist.org/for/3766675723.html
You need to convince your bf that you need this tank.. God.. I WISH my wife would find a tank like this and talk me into buying it... Lol

Old 05-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #443
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfool58 View Post
Look into drilling it, we have a petstore here that drills tanks for 20 bucks a hole. Just make sure you tell if it's tempered or not, if there's no sticker saying it is.. There is a way to test your glass.. I just drilled a 125, for a upcoming reef tank. Using a 55 gallon for sump.
Awesome! Thanks. That's the only number I've heard. At that kind of rate it shouldn't be a problem. Just have to wait to find out whether its tempered or not! I would definitely prefer drilling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadair22 View Post

You need to convince your bf that you need this tank.. God.. I WISH my wife would find a tank like this and talk me into buying it... Lol
He's a keeper alright! He tolerates my obsession well and tries to be excited about it. Lol. Too bad my apartment complex would probably freak! But it would be so fun! One of these days... They sell bamboo sharks all the time at my lfs. It usually breaks my heart when one is sold because I wonder if its actually going into the 300 gallon MINIMUM it requires. That craigslist post gave me a little bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, they're actually going in a proper tank.

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #444
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your curious to know how to tell, YouTube how to identify tempered glass.. You basically take 3D and look through the glass, with a laptop screen on the other side.. I took videos, but I can't post them.. Check it out, it worked for me.. I can post this though. It's the center piece cut out of my tank. Where it was drilled, pretty cool stuff..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2656976090.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	173586  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #445
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If your curious to know how to tell, YouTube how to identify tempered glass.. You basically take 3D and look through the glass, with a laptop screen on the other side.. I took videos, but I can't post them.. Check it out, it worked for me.. I can post this though. It's the center piece cut out of my tank. Where it was drilled, pretty cool stuff..
Use 3D glasses? I will def give it a shot. That is pretty cool. Lol.

25 gallon reef
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #446
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes.. It's neat, try it at night.. If you do outside.. If you're not sure what tempered glass looks like.. Do you car window first.. I had a tank I knew was tempered, (snake cage) so I used hers first, then tested the empty tank to look. Pretty neat. On the YouTube they use a polarized filter. Basically the same thing.. You can also use polarized sunglasses..
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #447
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yes.. It's neat, try it at night.. If you do outside.. If you're not sure what tempered glass looks like.. Do you car window first.. I had a tank I knew was tempered, (snake cage) so I used hers first, then tested the empty tank to look. Pretty neat. On the YouTube they use a polarized filter. Basically the same thing.. You can also use polarized sunglasses..
Really awesome! I'm not even sure what polarized means, so I was worried about trying to find polarized sunglasses. Lol. I literally refuse to pay more than $1 for sunglasses, so I know that I don't have any. However, my parents own a 3D TV so I bet they'll be willing to let me borrow some of their 3D glasses. Smart idea with trying the car windows first. I was wondering how I was going to gain a little bit of perspective. Thank you so much! So, trying it at night... does that mean my lights in my apartment need to be off when I check my tank?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #448
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, do I just leave my screen a solid color? Or do I watch a video or something? I don't want to make a mistake and destroy this tank. That's my biggest concern!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #449
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, turn your lights off, & the best thing to do us bring up paint, & make the tablet or whatever a light blue color or even white.. & then you can see, pm me you're email, & I'll send you the videos I took of a tempered glass tank, & the tank we wanted to drill which turned out not to be tempered.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #450
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah, turn your lights off, & the best thing to do us bring up paint, & make the tablet or whatever a light blue color or even white.. & then you can see, pm me you're email, & I'll send you the videos I took of a tempered glass tank, & the tank we wanted to drill which turned out not to be tempered.
Message sent. Thanks!

25 gallon reef

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com