Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #451
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 videos today.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...81F9FB1DF1.mp4

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...02C024F5FB.mp4

25 gallon reef
55 gallon freshwater in the planning stages
jmay33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #452
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely siphon as much of that algae off the glass as possible. If you just scrape it off it will float around and start growing in a different spot. Not sure what's fueling all that algae if your only feeding twice a week. Your sand looks great as does all the coral. Where do you get your top off and saltwater again? How often are you changing/cleaning your filter pads? What lights are you running? If its t-5's they may need to be replaced, as they get old they cross over to the red spectrum which fuels algae growth. Your green star polyps and what looks like toadstool leather corals shouldn't kill each other. The polyps may choke them out for space though, they grow fast.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #453
Aquarium Advice Addict

My pulsing xenia stopped pulsing for some reason. It's the third bunch. Yours are so active. I know a lot of people do not like the coral because it tends to become a weed, but i'm curious to know why it stops pulsing and tends to thin out.
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #454
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Definitely siphon as much of that algae off the glass as possible. If you just scrape it off it will float around and start growing in a different spot. Not sure what's fueling all that algae if your only feeding twice a week. Your sand looks great as does all the coral. Where do you get your top off and saltwater again? How often are you changing/cleaning your filter pads? What lights are you running? If its t-5's they may need to be replaced, as they get old they cross over to the red spectrum which fuels algae growth. Your green star polyps and what looks like toadstool leather corals shouldn't kill each other. The polyps may choke them out for space though, they grow fast.
I didn't know that about the lights! Thanks! Some of them were new in January, some in February, and one is only a couple days old. I have some replacement lights handy, so I will change them out. I will also siphon the algae out soon. I'm planning a water change for probably Tuesday and I will do that then. I rinse the purgen when I do water changes. My protein skimmer also probably needs a good cleaning. I just don't know what is safe to clean it with? When the leathers get a little bigger I may try to move them to another rock. I mix my own water with water from my brother's RODI system. He changed the filters in it recently, so i don't think it could be that. Thanks for the compliments on the corals and sand. I have 30-40 ish hermit crabs and they keep it pretty clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
My pulsing xenia stopped pulsing for some reason. It's the third bunch. Yours are so active. I know a lot of people do not like the coral because it tends to become a weed, but i'm curious to know why it stops pulsing and tends to thin out.
I love the xenias because they grow so fast. Lol. I love the movement they add. Mine got really upset for a while and I thought they were seriously about to die. So I tried moving them to different places in my tank and they finally found a happy spot. It took about 2 weeks of moving them around for them to get comfortable and start pumping that way. Now they're growing like crazy. I found they like a low flow spot. Which is odd because at my lfs they're always in a high flow area and thriving.

25 gallon reef
Old 05-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #455
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your bulbs are not that old but 6 months is about as long as you should run them, from what I've heard.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #456
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apet66 View Post
Your bulbs are not that old but 6 months is about as long as you should run them, from what I've heard.
Awesome. I'm glad to get to save them for another time.

25 gallon reef
Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #457
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since I'm starting to get into the planning phase of my 100 gallon reef, I'm going to start a new thread for it. I will do it as soon as I post this comment. I really hope y'all will follow and help give me good advice! I have a lot to learn so I will have a lot of questions. Lol.

I will continue to update this thread as long as my 55 is still running, which might be well into this December or January of next year.

25 gallon reef
Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #458
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just started the 100 gallon thread.

25 gallon reef
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #459
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's my first update in forever:

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/...A45416012B.mp4

25 gallon reef
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #460
Aquarium Advice Addict

Went to my lfs today. I had to share a picture of this guy. I wanted him so bad! I wish I could have a species saltwater tank. He'd be mine. Lol.

25 gallon reef

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com