Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there just read through your build. I just went through all this on my 55 gallon reef tank. As long as you have enough flow, and a good skimmer, you do not need a HOB or canister filter. I just removed my HOB it was an emperor 400. I have a reef octopus bh-100 HOB skimmer that works great. I just got a sump built w/ a spare 10G tank I had. Check out my build it may help answer any questions you have. But they are correct. The most important thing you want to spend your money on is a skimmer and lighting.

Hi there just read through your build. I just went through all this on my 55 gallon reef tank. As long as you have enough flow, and a good skimmer, you do not need a HOB or canister filter. I just removed my HOB it was an emperor 400. I have a reef octopus bh-100 HOB skimmer that works great. I just got a sump built w/ a spare 10G tank I had. Check out my build it may help answer any questions you have. But they are correct. The most important thing you want to spend your money on is a skimmer and lighting.

Thanks Tom. I've actually come across your thread and read it before! I'm going to go follow it now. I love your tank! Is it drilled for the sump? My tank isn't drilled but I've thought about adding one. I don't know how to go about doing the over flow. My local Walmart has 10 gallon aquariums for $12.77. So it wouldn't be too costly. I'm going to go take another look at your sump, I mostly looked at your FTSs.

I'm not sure how to build a sump. I haven't done many DIY projects. Is there a secure way for me to do that with the stand I have? I also do not know how a sump works. I think I'd have an easier time knowing how to build one if I knew what the function is. Any tips?

I didn't get a chance to put up pics of the sump yet, i got it done last weekend. I used the e-shopps over flow box. It was brand new in the box shipped off ebay for about $60. all gravity - no drilling and very easy to hook up. I used 1inch tubing down to the sump and then have a return pump going back up to the tank. Ill shoot some pics later and post it up. the whole sump is diy. if you have access to your stand, put atleast a 20 long down there though. The only reason I did a 10 was because it was all I can fit. More room is always better. + more water volume.

My parameters today are as follows:

ammonia: .50 ppm
nitrite 5.0 ppm
nitrate 20 ppm

Water change time!

Thanks for all your help, Tom! I'm working on saving for a sump set up now. :)

Edit: Apet, I also will have my marine buffer by next week. Should anyway. Is it something I'm going to have to use consistently? Or is it something I could go without since fluctuation is what is dangerous?

Don't water change. Cycle isn't done until both ammonia and nitrite are at zero. You will slow the cycle by changing water.

Don't water change. Cycle isn't done until both ammonia and nitrite are at zero. You will slow the cycle by changing water.

Okay. Awesome. Even better! So just keep an eye on things?

I finally rearranged my rocks. There is some algae on some of them. My brother also gave me a new piece of rock. It's in the last pic.

img_2336367_0_bc5392be713eae64b50356379337cf18.jpg

img_2336367_1_3b7999f741c45f7e4c821107b2439c62.jpg

img_2336367_2_85d579dc063159c9661f70ed95c53c40.jpg

img_2336367_3_d536f14087575b860a1817de3ad30466.jpg

Agreed no need to change water. Wait till amm and nitrite read zero, then try to get nitrates to fifteen or less with water changes

Agreed no need to change water. Wait till amm and nitrite read zero, then try to get nitrates to fifteen or less with water changes

Awesome! Thank you. Sometimes I have to do water changes when free SW is available. (i guess i could get buckets and store it, but i don't really have the right equipment for that.) I am probably going to have to do one after this weekend. My ammonia has been dropping, so hopefully that's enough time. I will update my Params and let you know when my water change will have to be. I'm starting to think about my stocking options so I can put together a solid list and figure out a timeline to set some goals. Any stocking advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have 2 ocellaris clowns in my 10 gallon nano reef that will need to be moved over. I want to add something before I add them. :)
I will also upgrade to a protein skimmer before I add any fish. :) I appreciate all of the advice you guys give me! I've already learned a lot and I haven't even added any stock, so thanks!

Sorry for the novel. Lol.

I will have water tomorrow. Should I hold it and wait on the pwc?

Here's my new rock. I didn't have enough for the marine buffer, but in a couple of days I will. My budget is making this a really slow process. :( but I'm excited and feel like it will be totally worth it. I've decided that there isn't a reason for me to have 2 reef tanks, so I'm going to be putting everything in my 10 gallon nano reef into the 55 when the time comes and the tank is cycled.

This is what is in my nano:
2 ocellaris clowns(they were moving up anyway.)
1 brittle star and a bunch of mini brittle stars
2 peppermint shrimp
A bunch of snails and hermits
1 hammer coral
Pumping Xenias
Assorted polyps
Assorted mushrooms

I did have 2 porcelain crabs, but I think only one is still kicking. We'll see.

img_2342115_0_c9bf59abab79706ea2697e2737f2b24b.jpg

I would go with a CPR overflow verses an eshops if your gonna do a sump. And definitely do a 20 gallon tank if you can fit it. As far as your rock IMO you might want to get some less dense rock. That rock isn't good for beneficial bacteria, and it's not too natural looking. Not to shoot you down or anything.

I would go with a CPR overflow verses an eshops if your gonna do a sump. And definitely do a 20 gallon tank if you can fit it. As far as your rock IMO you might want to get some less dense rock. That rock isn't good for beneficial bacteria, and it's not too natural looking. Not to shoot you down or anything.

Not feeling shot down. I love constructive criticism. :) all of the denser rock was given to me. I personally like the more porous rock, but wouldn't dare turn down something free. Haha. The new rock with the two holes is pretty light. I don't think it's as dense as the other stuff. I'm hoping maybe the holes will give more surface area and help a little. Would a 20 gallon tall work? I'm going to see about fitting a long, but i'm not sure it'll work. Thanks for all of your advice!

I added some live rock instead of dry rock earlier and I added another set of 2 T5 HO lights(courtesy of my brother updating his lights! Score.)

img_2342586_0_e068a6362fa6e81f4f9c0e6251439291.jpg

Parameters tonight are

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: somewhere between .50 and 1.0 ppm. Hard to tell
Nitrate: 20 ppm

I guess I accidentally put a snail in my tank last night with the live rock. Good news is he's still alive and moving around this morning.

Putting snails is not bad. It will aid in speeding the cycle. Don't recommend it due to stress on live stock but its not bad.

Putting snails is not bad. It will aid in speeding the cycle. Don't recommend it due to stress on live stock but its not bad.

Thanks. I'm glad it at least won't kill him. He still seems to be as happy as a snail can seem.

Edit: I don't like stressing livestock if I don't have to, so everything else will probably wait until the cycle is complete.

GUYS! I think my tank is cycled!!! I'm tickled! :)

Ammonia: 0 ppm,
Nitrite: 0 ppm.
Nitrate: 5 ppm.

Please tell me I'm correct. :)

Back
Top Bottom