Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not only that I use the same RO/DI MACHINE TO Make the same water that goes in my 55, so I know it's not the water :)

But hey, if nothing else works changing the filter may be worth a shot.

@jmay I would also reccomend some macro algaes like chaeto (kay-toe) stay away from caulerpa as it is best to keep it under 24 hour lighting to keep it from going asexual so don't get it until you get your sump set up and even then be careful. Anyway just stick that chaeto some where in your tank in a place with decent flow and light and this should help a little with your nitrate problem. Also brs just released a new vid on there channel about organic filtration. They talk about growing macro algaes and all that good stuff like carbon dosing (what I've been doing in my tank for the past week).

@jmay I would also reccomend some macro algaes like chaeto (kay-toe) stay away from caulerpa as it is best to keep it under 24 hour lighting to keep it from going asexual so don't get it until you get your sump set up and even then be careful. Anyway just stick that chaeto some where in your tank in a place with decent flow and light and this should help a little with your nitrate problem. Also brs just released a new vid on there channel about organic filtration. They talk about growing macro algaes and all that good stuff like carbon dosing (what I've been doing in my tank for the past week).

Hmm. Awesome! Thanks! All of that is new info to me. Let the research and modifications begin. :)

Also since it does sound like you wanna add a sump sometime soon and your tank isn't drilled I would recommend the CPR continuous siphon overflow as it is very reliable and has a vacuum pump that comes with so that way if there is a power outage it will kick back. Other hang on overflows will work but there is no guarantee that they will kick back on which could lead to a wet floor and a mad wife or gf.

X2 on the CPR. I've had mine for about 7 months now and it is quiet and reliable. Probably the best one out there

In my case I would have a very mad boyfriend. Lol. I'm the messy fish tank obsessed girlfriend. :hide: unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to get a new stand to be able to have a sump.

Hmmm... Well you could always build your own if you up for it. Or your lfs would likely be happy to order one for you.

Hey. Look what I got for my birthday. :)

img_2365629_0_b99ec6845d1a25d58ae11115a9c2df6d.jpg

Also, I think I'm going to build a new stand soon so I can have a sump. :)

It's my 21st birthday and I say screw the booze and get excited about the protein skimmer. :)

Congratz!!! That's the skimmer I use on my 55 gallon it's great

Thanks! I'm so excited. I also have a powerhead on the way. I'm hoping and praying my last lonely clown is okay when I get home.

Thanks! I'm so excited. I also have a powerhead on the way. I'm hoping and praying my last lonely clown is okay when I get home.

I'm sure he/she is fine. If not well keep going forward :). I'm researching PHs now. I don't think I have enough flow in my 120

Back
Top Bottom