Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO just judging by your pictures, looks like you are lacking husbandry, flow and lights for corals. It dosnt seem like your HOB is keeping up with the filtration and I'm not sure of your water change habits but they look like they need to be upped. You are maybe feeding to much also..

IMO just judging by your pictures, looks like you are lacking husbandry, flow and lights for corals. It dosnt seem like your HOB is keeping up with the filtration and I'm not sure of your water change habits but they look like they need to be upped. You are maybe feeding to much also..

I'm only feeding twice a week. I need a lot of flow. I have a powerhead in the mail. I got a confirmation email yesterday. I'm hoping that it will improve things. I have 4 coralife T5 HO lights 1 actinic and 3 daylight. It is all I have available.

Ok. Once again I'm just trying to help through my experience. It seems like you are going a bit fast on the stocking process for how little your tank has been going, I just refreshed myself on this thread and it looks like this tank is a little over a month old. I ran a BIG hob on my 55 when I first started for about 3 weeks until I figured out that wasn't going to cut. Then I bought marineland canister, which with 2 800gph power heads kept up with the small bio load I had. ( until I stared over feeding) then it was all downhill from there. Battling hair algae for months. Even with doing weekly 10 gallon water changes. I now, after tons of waisted money have a 55 gallon that I'm proud of why? Because of alot of research, trial by error and good people telling me how to do stuff. I am now running a 20 gallon refugium with cheato, 2 750 and 1 550 hydor power heads and the reef octopus model skimmer you got in my sump. I don't have an ounce of hair algae in my tank and bty I'm still doing weekly water changes. It's an expensive learning experience if you try and be frugal or put the cart before the horse. So take your time, stop buying corals because you have sufficient light and focus on equipment needed to have healthy water parameters. Good luck and please feel free to ask advise. I'm no pro but this is the success I've had within the year and a half now that I've been doing this.

Ok. Once again I'm just trying to help through my experience. It seems like you are going a bit fast on the stocking process for how little your tank has been going, I just refreshed myself on this thread and it looks like this tank is a little over a month old. I ran a BIG hob on my 55 when I first started for about 3 weeks until I figured out that wasn't going to cut. Then I bought marineland canister, which with 2 800gph power heads kept up with the small bio load I had. ( until I stared over feeding) then it was all downhill from there. Battling hair algae for months. Even with doing weekly 10 gallon water changes. I now, after tons of waisted money have a 55 gallon that I'm proud of why? Because of alot of research, trial by error and good people telling me how to do stuff. I am now running a 20 gallon refugium with cheato, 2 750 and 1 550 hydor power heads and the reef octopus model skimmer you got in my sump. I don't have an ounce of hair algae in my tank and bty I'm still doing weekly water changes. It's an expensive learning experience if you try and be frugal or put the cart before the horse. So take your time, stop buying corals because you have sufficient light and focus on equipment needed to have healthy water parameters. Good luck and please feel free to ask advise. I'm no pro but this is the success I've had within the year and a half now that I've been doing this.

I took all of my corals out of a 10 gallon nano. I haven't added anything new! Just saying. But thank you for all the info. I only added my protein skimmer yesterday. So I'm hoping that'll help. I'm not adding anything and haven't in a while. I would love some help understanding a sump a little better.

Also, I do 10% weekly water changes. I missed one and followed up with a 25% pwc

Well as far as a sump goes its pretty easy if your a bit handy. By the looks of your stand from the pics it seems like you can fit a 20 long under your tank, which is what I have. All you need is a return pump, an overflow box and some tubing basically you get some pre cut pieces of glass to silicone into the sump tank to make baffles for the water to flow over. You have different chambers for your protien skimmer, filters sock,macro algae and return pump. Definitly you tube DIY sump/refugium. They help add more water volume to your tank which In turn makes for more stabile water parameters and adds a place for macro algae like cheato, to out compete with hair algae in you main tank. Here is a quick pic of my sump.

image-2938611869.jpg

I'm only feeding twice a week. I need a lot of flow. I have a powerhead in the mail. I got a confirmation email yesterday. I'm hoping that it will improve things. I have 4 coralife T5 HO lights 1 actinic and 3 daylight. It is all I have available.

I run 2 55 Rated HOBs on my 55 your one HOB is fine. Twice a week feedings with a 6 hour lighting schedule,is just about perfect. The only other factor might be temp

Well as far as a sump goes its pretty easy if your a bit handy. By the looks of your stand from the pics it seems like you can fit a 20 long under your tank, which is what I have. All you need is a return pump, an overflow box and some tubing basically you get some pre cut pieces of glass to silicone into the sump tank to make baffles for the water to flow over. You have different chambers for your protien skimmer, filters sock,macro algae and return pump. Definitly you tube DIY sump/refugium. They help add more water volume to your tank which In turn makes for more stabile water parameters and adds a place for macro algae like cheato, to out compete with hair algae in you main tank. Here is a quick pic of my sump.

I wish. Unfortunately, a 10 gallon won't even fit under my stand. Plus, I've recently learned that I can't have one in my apartment since my tank isn't drilled and I can't have an over flow. Thanks for the info because in the future i'd like to have one.

I run 2 55 Rated HOBs on my 55 your one HOB is fine. Twice a week feedings with a 6 hour lighting schedule,is just about perfect. The only other factor might be temp

Thanks. My temp is 78. I just changed my schedule to 6 hours yesterday. I'm waiting to see results from all of the stuff I just changed. I'm ecstatic for my powerhead to come in! I think it will make a huge difference. I will have one on both sides, but I eventually want to put 2 of the wave makers in there. I think that'll be sufficient flow.

Also, my stock is only 1 clown, 2 emerald crabs, 2 hermit crabs, 4 snails, and about 6 corals. Did I really add too much at one time? I didn't have any spikes in my parameters.

Could rescaping my rocks help my issues with water flow?

I hate that my skimmer is on the front, but here's a pic of the new aqua scape.

img_2374165_0_e3b9841de977a42de124710992019915.jpg

I'm planning on doing about a 90% pwc soon and putting it on a new stand in a proper place

LoL just pump out some of it into 5 gallon buckets move it out a bit and dump the water back in. I've done that before :)

LoL just pump out some of it into 5 gallon buckets move it out a bit and dump the water back in. I've done that before :)

Lol. I've thought about that. But I really don't trust my stand. It was poorly made. My brother and I are about to start building me a new one :) we are already working on building plans. :)

Any suggestions on things you like and don't like about stands would be great. :) tomorrow I'll post a video with the new scape. I like it SO much better. I really do think it's more natural. I can't wait to move my Skimmer though. Maybe I'll scooch it out during my next pwc. :)

Parameters tonight:

Ammonia 0 ppm.
Nitrite 0 ppm.
Nitrate 5 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom