Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting my first large aquarium! As the title states, it is a 55 gallon long tank. I have anAquatop CF400UV 4-stage canister filter with UV 9W, 370 gph. My lights are AquaticLife T5 HO, dual lamp, 10,000K, 420/460nm. 300 watt heater. I'm planning on at least doubling the number of lights so I can have harder corals. I'm planning on cycling first with some hermit crabs and then adding 3 blue green chromis. The tank still needs some cleaning but here is a picture! I will post updates along the way because I will probably have a lot of questions. :) thank you in advance!

img_2262627_0_50e6a2a600cf19aa85d34a2a200693e5.jpg

Edit: I will also be adding a powerhead and protein skimmer. So, suggestions and info on those things would be much appreciated!

Does anyone know if I need all of my live rock to start my cycle? Or can I buy a little and add on during my cycle?

I would put in all your live rock up front for your cycle. If you do a little at a time, each successive batch will have to be cured before putting it in the tank, which can be a real PITA.... unless you plan on adding dry rock.

I would put in all your live rock up front for your cycle..... If you do a little at a time, each successive batch will have to be cured before putting it in the tank, which can be a real PITA.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm pretty new to saltwater and it's hard to be patient, but I want everything to be done right. It's hard. Lol.

Patience is one of the hardest parts, but you will learn it one way or another.... unfortunately, many learn it through great expense.

Patience is one of the hardest parts, but you will learn it one way or another.... unfortunately, many learn it through great expense.

I'm trying really not to learn through expense. Lol. I'm impatient enough for it to happen. Maybe with your warning I won't. :)

How long does it take rock to become live? I've heard that if I do 40% live rock and 60% dry rock it will only take a couple of months? I know that if I were to do this my cycle would be drastically slowed down. But if I did this could I still cycle with hermit crabs and shrimp? How do I know when all of it is live? Is there any way to know?

Edit: can you tell by the color? Or if it gets coralline algae?

Sorry for all of the questions. I bought an established nano as my first saltwater, so this is my first saltwater cycle. I want to do it exactly right.

A really awesome friend of a friend gave me a lot of live rock (50 lbs) today! I will probably get to start cycling soon! :)

Anyone have a suggestion on a good, cost-effective protein skimmer?

Unfortunately skimmers aren't on the cheap side. If something looks too good to be true (really cheap) it probably is. I remember someone bought a $50 skimmer on eBay and it was crap, waste of money, and they ended up investing in a good quality one anyway. Cheapest would be to make your own skimmer although it's not the most attractive sight to see in the DT.

Unfortunately skimmers aren't on the cheap side. If something looks too good to be true (really cheap) it probably is. I remember someone bought a $50 skimmer on eBay and it was crap, waste of money, and they ended up investing in a good quality one anyway. Cheapest would be to make your own skimmer although it's not the most attractive sight to see in the DT.

What would you suggest?

Reef Octupus is very popular/high quality. Aqua C remora, etc. I have a Aqua Medic turboflotor which works great. Lots of great choices. Look on marinedepot.com and bulkreefsupply.com if you haven't already.

Reef Octupus is very popular/high quality. Aqua C remora, etc. I have a Aqua Medic turboflotor which works great. Lots of great choices. Look on marinedepot.com and bulkreefsupply.com if you haven't already.

Those are new sites to me. Thanks! I'll let you know when I get one!

I know you got live rock already but fwiw, I added five pounds live rock, fifty pounds base, and my tank had a full cycle with the shrimp method in sixteen days

I know you got live rock already but fwiw, I added five pounds live rock, fifty pounds base, and my tank had a full cycle with the shrimp method in sixteen days

Thats awesome. I wanted to get more rock. I'll get dry rock! I think that it's $1.99/lb. much cheaper than live. Did you use a shrimp in panty hoes?

Edit: did you get shrimp in the food section at the grocery store?

Thats awesome. I wanted to get more rock. I'll get dry rock! I think that it's $1.99/lb. much cheaper than live. Did you use a shrimp in panty hoes?

Edit: did you get shrimp in the food section at the grocery store?

Yup felt silly asking for one raw shrimp but oh we'll! I didn't use pantyhose, just let it decay and disappear .

Yup felt silly asking for one raw shrimp but oh we'll! I didn't use pantyhose, just let it decay and disappear .

Cool. Thanks. :) turns out, the free live rock I got is covered in bristle worms. How do I get rid of them? Also covered in tiny feather dusters. I do like those though. They don't hurt and eat my tanks other inhabitants. Lol.

Bristle worms are very beneficial. Don't get rid of them! If they are fireworms, then they are harmful and you'd want to remove those. Use tweezers or something other than your hands to remove them (if they're fireworms) b/c they can stick their bristles in your hand and it hurts so much. Fireworms grow to be larger than bristle worms, usually come out in the day and look thicker. Basically bristleworms:good,fireworms:bad, it's just finding the distinction that many don't understand.

Bristle worms are very beneficial. Don't get rid of them! If they are fireworms, then they are harmful and you'd want to remove those. Use tweezers or something other than your hands to remove them (if they're fireworms) b/c they can stick their bristles in your hand and it hurts so much. Fireworms grow to be larger than bristle worms, usually come out in the day and look thicker. Basically bristleworms:good,fireworms:bad, it's just finding the distinction that many don't understand.

I'm assuming they're fire worms. Here is a picture.

img_2276294_0_0e6d1c67da2180780e12c18aefef3b06.jpg

Woke up this morning and my starfish looked like this. :(

img_2276294_1_4df844c9109e072b4a70cabfde031418.jpg

The worms, in my head, are the culprit. The only other thing I have in there that could do that is an emerald crab and I thinks he's pretty docile. :(

I have noticed the clowns picking at him.

on skimmers the only advice I can give is get a good one or you will be replacing it later. The biggest kistake I made was buy a Turboflotor T1000, never really did skim good was ok. I upgraded to a Warner Marine MF181 on my 55g. Holy crap the difference a good skimmer makes. I get as much skim in one day as I did in a week with the AquMedic TurboFlotor. Point is if you buy crap you for $100-$200 and upgrade later to a $400 skimmer you have now spent $500-$600. Just buy a good skimmer now, that and lights are the 2 most important things to invest in

on skimmers the only advice I can give is get a good one or you will be replacing it later. The biggest kistake I made was buy a Turboflotor T1000, never really did skim good was ok. I upgraded to a Warner Marine MF181 on my 55g. Holy crap the difference a good skimmer makes. I get as much skim in one day as I did in a week with the AquMedic TurboFlotor. Point is if you buy crap you for $100-$200 and upgrade later to a $400 skimmer you have now spent $500-$600. Just buy a good skimmer now, that and lights are the 2 most important things to invest in

Awesome. Thanks! I will do my best not to waste my money on something crappy. As always, I will ask you guys first. :)

Back
Top Bottom