Julians thing coral feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TRDfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
who has it and who loves it?? i got mine acouple of weeks ago and im not too impressed with it. I might even dislike using it :nono: . It always blows too much food @ one time (thats with a slow and stead pressure). Ive tried a syringe but the one i have is too small to feed pe mysis.

what do you guys/girls use to feed your coral?? whats the best method to feed them without overfeeding the system??

I picked up a giant turkey baster at the fish store and can pick up mysis with that. I use it to target feed the anenomes. You could even get a regular one and cut a bit off the bottom with a dremmel or something.

I use a baby medicine syringe. The tip is almost big enough for a pencil to fit in.

I called my local cvs and they carry the baby med oral syringe. Im going to give that a try. thnx bige. I could have saved myself the $25 getting the julians thing...lol. I think that is mostly to feed SPS (which i dont have....yet)

A 2 dollar turkey baster from walmart has accomplished any task i give it plus feeding. I consider a turkey baster an almost must have item for tank care.

Julians thing is just an overpriced contraption in my opinion. If you looking for more precision then simply mixing in more water with the mysis and a turkey baster will spread out the mysis in the baster allowing you to squirt them out slowly almost one at a time like.

The only complaint i would ever have with a turkey baster is its not long enough and i get my hand wet. There are long ones on the market for coral feeding but are usually way overpriced for the simple added feature of keeping your hand dry.

To its defense, it should be used for sps feeding. it it ideal for it IMO (figured that out after i got it). with its small nossle and longer ranger = dry hands while feeding sps. I checked out the baster @ local stores and they all have too large of a mouth. seems like all the food will come out as soon as it tilt it down

I end up getting the baby med oral syringe. Lets see how this thing works out

TRDfan said:
To its defense, it should be used for sps feeding. it it ideal for it IMO (figured that out after i got it). with its small nossle and longer ranger = dry hands while feeding sps. I checked out the baster @ local stores and they all have too large of a mouth. seems like all the food will come out as soon as it tilt it down

I end up getting the baby med oral syringe. Lets see how this thing works out

What type of corals are you feeding?

TRDfan said:
Palys and acans

Im only sps now and i dont feed them directly but when i had lps id turn off pumps and use turkey baster

Well I guess I can chime in, in a few days. I just ordered it to spot feed my mandarin. So we will see

I have had one for couple months. Works fine for me. I cut the nozzle a little more to allow more food to come out actually. I mix foods and larger pieces of mysis and brine would clog it before, now no problem. Keeps hands dry and reaches hard to get spots if you need to. I haven't tried using for glue but I could see that being handy as long as the glue didn't start curing and clog it before being applied. True it's pricey but not much in this hobby isn't.

I too cut the nose to get bigger pieces of food into it. however the food particles drop out when you point the thing into the tank. Plus my problem/issue with it is that it takes a whole second or two when you push the syringe in, for the food to come out the suction tube. Either way i was not too happy with it. End up getting a baby medication syringe and im 100x happy with it. It gives me more controll IMO and helps me direct the food quanitity better

I agree sometimes it takes a second or two to dispense but I never had the food fall out.

Back
Top Bottom