Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
jumbo oscellaris clownfish

Just got a jumbo oscellaris clownfish (female) in my 75. Immediately started going at it with my flame angel but seem to be doing ok together now. They just stay on opposite sides of my tank now. I don't have an anemone yet. Any suggestions on which ones are best?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,117
Bubble tips are probably one of the easier nems. Just because you get a nem doesn't mean the clown will host it though. I have a rbta and 2 clowns and they could care less about it.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,541
When you say jumbo how big is jumbo ? I know sometimes places use the term jumbo when selling the fish , but in reality it don't meet the term correctly ?

For example :
I consider my yellow stripe maroon clown jumbo , she's over 6+ inches in size and about a inch thick body girth and she is still growing now that is jumbo . she has a nem about 10 inch in size and it's just a little small for her.

In the past I did get to see 2 supersize jumbo's in on of the shops I visit , they both were close to 12 inch in size , kind of makes you think ..

when I got mine they were the size of my pinky finger nail , now the female is 6+ and still growing , the male looks like a baby and both are the same age , he is about a inch and a half in size yes tiny .

now you can see why I asked . because I would hate to see you get a nem that is to small for your clown that she will upset , causing it and it hides in cracks in rock work.

a nice bubble tip big enough for her would be a nice choice .
You may want to somehow confine your clown till the nem settles in and gets a good foot hold . as you don't want your clown to mess with it before it seats itself .

I hope you get to enjoy your clowns as I do mine , sometimes they can get under your skin constantly moving things you placed ,

I consider them my kids

this thread can tell you a lot about clowns and there habits enjoy
Profile: Clownfish
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
Thanks. It's about 4 inches and pretty plump. Had no idea they get that big. And only have one clown now. How do you think I can confine it? I don't have a quarantine tank or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
When you say jumbo how big is jumbo ? I know sometimes places use the term jumbo when selling the fish , but in reality it don't meet the term correctly ?

For example :
I consider my yellow stripe maroon clown jumbo , she's over 6+ inches in size and about a inch thick body girth and she is still growing now that is jumbo . she has a nem about 10 inch in size and it's just a little small for her.

In the past I did get to see 2 supersize jumbo's in on of the shops I visit , they both were close to 12 inch in size , kind of makes you think ..

when I got mine they were the size of my pinky finger nail , now the female is 6+ and still growing , the male looks like a baby and both are the same age , he is about a inch and a half in size yes tiny .

now you can see why I asked . because I would hate to see you get a nem that is to small for your clown that she will upset , causing it and it hides in cracks in rock work.

a nice bubble tip big enough for her would be a nice choice .
You may want to somehow confine your clown till the nem settles in and gets a good foot hold . as you don't want your clown to mess with it before it seats itself .

I hope you get to enjoy your clowns as I do mine , sometimes they can get under your skin constantly moving things you placed ,

I consider them my kids

this thread can tell you a lot about clowns and there habits enjoy
Profile: Clownfish




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 7,541
I always used light defuse or like everyone calls it egg crate , I find many uses for it with my tanks dividers , tank tops , coral grow out racks this is only a few of the things I find I can use it for but there's always a use if you just think about it I also use it to cage in my heater , as the fish like to get rough with it at times , egg crate and crazy glue , it's like a erector set for fish keepers
__________________
Save
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
I have been beaten up by clown fish both in my tank and in the ocean. They tend to be kind of aggressive depending on the circumstances and the species. A 6" clown must pack a pretty good bite!


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
My clown and flame angel are actually getting along no problem after a few days.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Carriwin's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 310
Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
stan, do you have pictures of them? I live vicariously through photos of sw tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post

I consider them my kids
Do you have pictures? I don't know if I've ever seen them??
__________________
-55 gallon FW, sand -55 gallon FW, planted fluorite -38 gallon black sand -10 gallon white sand nursery
-Carriwin's Tank Adventures
Carriwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriwin View Post
stan, do you have pictures of them? I live vicariously through photos of sw tanks.



Do you have pictures? I don't know if I've ever seen them??

Here is a video

https://instagram.com/p/BGP7FAsw3tV/


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
stan450z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Carriwin's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 310
Send a message via Skype™ to Carriwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan450z View Post
Here is a video

https://instagram.com/p/BGP7FAsw3tV/


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
He's so PRETTY!!! I love how the tang just sneaks right on by.
__________________

__________________
-55 gallon FW, sand -55 gallon FW, planted fluorite -38 gallon black sand -10 gallon white sand nursery
-Carriwin's Tank Adventures
Carriwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clown, clownfish, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jumbo Caridnal Tetra VS Farm Raised Jumbo Cardinal Tetra?? FSEMTB2 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 11-13-2007 10:38 PM
jumbo pleco tropicfishman Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 05-02-2006 01:39 PM
Oscellaris Clown hosted by Colt Coral Poisson Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 10-06-2004 04:46 PM
White spots on my jumbo neons... Mofo2713 Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish 12 09-30-2004 02:54 PM
Lighting Mumbo-Jumbo d9hp Saltwater Reef Aquaria 8 11-06-2002 10:52 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.