Jumping Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This morning (well I was up a lot earlier than I would have like to be) so I figured I'd at least do some spying on my tanks. I checked my one tank to make sure the sump was still working correctly. I just installed it yesterday afternoon and that seems to be working well. Only issue is the heater keeps running, maybe the flow is colder than the rest of the tank. That's another issue. So I did a quick look at my biocube. Found some pink puffy thing in a corner next to a rock that I didn't notice before, I'll see what it looks like in natural light. I noticed the tiny piece of plate coral that broke off and I placed in there was moved, can't tell if its upside down or not. Yesterday I swapped out the bioballs or lv in the back chamber, so I figured I'd look at the side water gauge and see if I'm still at a good level. I shine the flashlight in there and I'm greeted by my clown fish.... Swimming around the pump..... Normally on the weekend I wouldn't have been up for a couple hours or so, but we have a new puppy that wanted out, food, play, and has the ability to fall right back asleep, I do not. Anyhow, so I quickly turned off the pump (that chamber rises to equalize) and then it was an easy scoop with a tiny net. I know the clown likes to sleep toward the top of the tank. He'd have had to leap straight up though. At least he didn't end up falling int othe lv rock chamber, though that would have been a shorter fall. I'll have to monitor him and see if he's alright.

I have lost many fish from jumping out of tanks! My dad finally built a cover for the tank..its made of some sort of netting just bought at home depo. The netting has squares a little bigger than about 1 cm x 1 cm. This way it still lets the light in and it keeps the fish in the water

I'll have to see what I want to do, Its a biocube, so the whole top is covered. There is a 1/2" (just measured it) open gap between the display and back chambers. I still can't believe he jumped straight up 1-1/2" and over that.

Our clowns used to do the same thing in our cube. They jump through the tiny opening into the back of the tank were the return chamber is. THey were always fine when we found them back there, and we simply moved them back to the display area.

We never did find a way to keep them in the display area and out of the return chamber.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom