Jumping clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramblin Wreck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke this morning to find only one clown of my pair visible in the tank. Turns out the other was in the overflow. My water levels are on the mark and I have glass tops to help decrease water loss. So the jump had to be stupid perfect! Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That sort of happened to me. I have a full lid and one of my clowns jumped through a 4" by 2" high gap.

Glad to know it happens!! I tore the tank apart looking for the body lol. Never thought it could fit in that small gap. He was so happy to be found!

I had 2 small clowns in my 29 gal nano. One day I found one on the floor but it was too late. Then a few more days the other one just disappeared. After 2 weeks I was doing my regular maintenance and wallah! I found him at the back chamber where my small skimmer is. I can't believe he would even survive that long without nothing to feed on.

I've had three, yes three different sets of clowns jump on me. They used to play in the output of my filter and then whoosh, straight up and out of the tank. I now have net screens over the tops of all my tanks. :)

I also had a yellow wathcman goby that went missing one day from my biocube, i just figured he died, got a new one etcc.,..... over a year goes by and one day I am messing in the back compartment and voila, there he was alive and much bigger than when i saw him last. lol He lived over a year back there and never got noticed. There are some incredible fish stories out there. :)

Wow! You have to be kidding me! I am waking the house up laughing!

I didn't know this could happen.. Going to check on mine now haha!

I recently lost a lawn mower Benny. Looked everywhere in and around the tank. A week passes I find him not only on the floor but on the other side of the room! A good 5-6 metres away. Those guys can jump!

Holy crap!! I didn't know Benny's were jumpers either'

What causes the jumping? I think adding netting is a good suggestion.

I've had three, yes three different sets of clowns jump on me. They used to play in the output of my filter and then whoosh, straight up and out of the tank. I now have net screens over the tops of all my tanks. :)

I also had a yellow wathcman goby that went missing one day from my biocube, i just figured he died, got a new one etcc.,..... over a year goes by and one day I am messing in the back compartment and voila, there he was alive and much bigger than when i saw him last. lol He lived over a year back there and never got noticed. There are some incredible fish stories out there. :)
You kidding? What did he eat? Is there a lot of space back there on those?

He just ate the leftover food that went from the tank through the filter space. lol He was ALOT bigger when he came out than when I had him so he def didnt go hungry.

He was hiding where the sponge goes between the left compartment and the center compartment. I gotta say it was nearly impossible to get him out. Had to block up that hole between sections and try to net him, took hours....

Back in there this morning! Just swimming and happy. Guess he need a break from his partner. Lol. I put the net in to scoop him and he hopped right in. Too funny!

What causes the jumping? I think adding netting is a good suggestion.

Usually poor water quality or aggression from other tank mates. But sometimes they just want to try carpet surfing....

+1 on that. I had just introduced a new clown that day. Luckily I heard it and plopped him back into the tank. That was in the beginning of June and he's still swimming.

I had a midas blenny clear a 4 feet jump to end just beside me on the couche. I was able to put him right back in but unfortunately, i found him dryed up 2 weeks later

I had a midas blenny that made in from my living room/dining room all the way into the kitchen. lol Unfortunately my hubby stepped on him a bit in the middle of the night. He lived through that and went back in the tank but died a few days later. Poor little guy......

Back
Top Bottom