Just a question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enisiojr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Guys I'm planning on converting mine 75 G freshwater to saltwater (fish only), since I live in Florida and I spend alot of my time on the ocean (fishing, diving, boating...etc....), I want to know if it is possible to get liverock from the ocean and put in my aquarium, same for ocean bottom sand, is there any problem such as bacterias that might come with it? or jail time (I heard that it might be illegal).........I just hate the idea of paying $ 5 per LBS for liveock since there is so much that I have access to, but then again I dont want to do anything illegal. Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Jr

I would suggust that you check with the local water authority. I am sure they can tell you the legal issues. My understanding is that it depends on the location of collection, and what you collect. I am not certain this is true, but I do know for certain that there are areas where even taking a shell from the bottom can be illeagal. I think if you do a search on live sand I have seen this issue covered before.

More I think about it, the more I am pretty certain that it would be illeagal. I would think Depart of wildlife would be a good place to start.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to remove rock and sand as well. Check with your local fish and game. Also, have you checked with liverocks.com? They are a florida based company that has great rock. And, you can get their live base rock for I believe 2.99 lb. Post in the site sponsors forum, I'm sure they can help you out.

Well I don't live in Florida but I do visit every once in a while. I've gotten into a habit of snatching the large pieces of rock that wash up on the beach (before I stub my toe on them) and placing them in the tank to be populated by the critters on my existing lr. I've never really thought of looking into the legallity of this (I just assumed that flotsam and jetsam was fair game) but I can report no ill effects so long as I boiled it first. It's kinda neat to bring part of the vacation home.

Back
Top Bottom