just added a new coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you add sand to an existing tank? Does this cause a mini cycle? Did your tank get cloudy?

It won't cause a cycle as it is not a base for ammonia or anything like that. A good way to do it is have a piece of PVC and run it down to the sand bottom. Then you pour the sand through the PVC. Reduces cloudiness.

It won't cause a cycle as it is not a base for ammonia or anything like that. A good way to do it is have a piece of PVC and run it down to the sand bottom. Then you pour the sand through the PVC. Reduces cloudiness.

+1 thats what i did and it is by far the best method i've ever seen

What you do is put the entire bag in the tank the get a small box cutter. And put slits on the side of the bag it will cloud the water a bit but Noah bad as dumping. From the top

What you do is put the entire bag in the tank the get a small box cutter. And put slits on the side of the bag it will cloud the water a bit but Noah bad as dumping. From the top

No way i'd ever stick a dirty bag like that in my tank. It has too much potential to have chemicals on it from transport/ink etc. I'd do the PVC method and rinse the sand first.

Its fine there is a differences in live sand its not like the dry coral sand it already has benefits in doing this test my water every thing. Is check plus I would have notice on my protien Skimmer look at this picture everything is open

ForumRunner_20120428_182919.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120428_182942.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120428_182942.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 89
cean Direct Live Sand Original 20 Lb This pure aragonite substrate utilizes patent pending Sea Breathetm laser technology to allow efficient respiration right in the bag. This method preserves real live sand with its own original, natural bacteria. Every bag of Ocean Direct is alive and breathing with up to 1000 times more beneficial water purifying bacterial than other preservation methods. Every grain of Ocean Directtm is coated with bacteria and encapsulated, by capillary action, in a film of real ocean water. The thin film is open to the atmosphere for unparalleled gas exchange. This results in high counts of natural and beneficial bacteria with no noxious buildup of metabolic by-products. Each bag contains a packet of Bio-Magnet clarifier to reposition any free floating bacteria to where they are most active: sand beds, live rock surfaces, and biological filtration media. Ocean Direct gives you a thriving, natural aquarium in minutes!

«

lol, i understand that, I just feel its a bad idea to tell someone to stick a bag of sand in their tank and cut it open. Better options. IMO

Well true but it is very hard to get that sand to go down a pipe if you clean and rinse that bag to me the no difference from a bucket or pipe dirty is dirty and if you prince the rock you defeat the purpose of the benifts of this product

Back
Top Bottom