Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Just added Royal Gramma

All, H2O parameters r good Ph 8.1/ (sorry, just in a hurry) all others 0, Phosphates .5 (Ca was 200-220 but from tap was only 180, but that comes later). Just added a royal gramma, did the drip acclimation, about 1.5hours, lights out for about 1.hours. Lights came on and my 3 stripped damsel and Blue Devil went after him right away....Why!?!?! I would like to put him in a QT ASAP....

Another ?. I have a 10gallon (old turtle tank), themometer, heater (I just bought egg crate).. After this what is the BARE min. I need to set up a QT (I know, I should have one already). I know I need a filter and some lights. What are the cheapest (that I could get at Petsmart/Petco or something local to Charles Town, WV) to set this up (since my LFS is not open on Sundays? I an upgrade later, just had a lot of bills this month. But I need a relatively cheap solution (about $200-400)....any suggestions?!?!?

Thanks...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

All you need is a small hob filter, preferably one with a biowheel and some pvc parts to be used as hiding places. Ideally you would put the hob filter in the main tank/sump for a week or two before use to colonize it with beneficial bacteria. If you don't have time to do that just prepare enough sw water for 2x/day PWC in the QT. Check the ammonia and pH levels there several times a day if possible. The parameters can change quickly in a 10 gal, but with just a single fish in there you should be ok.

What good do you think will be achieved by putting the RG in a QT now? If it was carrying Ich, then the parasite was already introduced into the main tank. If it's to protect it aggression,removing it won't prevent it from happening when you re-introduce it to the main tank again.

Do you still have 2 Yellow Tail Damsels, 2 3 Stripped Damsels, 1 Blue Devil Damsel, and 1 Yellow stripped Maroon Clown Fish?

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

He seems to be ok now, he didn't have ICH, just the two damsles were going after him like you wouldn't believe!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 04-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I still have all the damsels. I was going to put him in the QT, so his tail could grow back. He has found himself a place to hide....only problem, the Devil likes to dig under stuff. Another ?. If the gramma is hiding all the time, how will he be ablt to eat. Will the damsels still be aggressive toward hime, once they get used to him? Strange thing is, only one of hte 3 striped Damsels went after him....and the Devil...

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 04-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #5

those are about the most agressive fish out there. I have both in my tank and they are hard on newcomers. Usually they chill after a day or 2.

When I break my tank down to move they are down the road.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I agree, but only 1 of my 3 stripped damsels went after him. The 3 strip and blue Devil fight over the same area also. They didn't even touch the clown I put in about a month ago. After I put him in, I went to a LFS and bought some sand (switching out the CC). Tonight, I will move some LR around and try to break up their territories. I was really worried because they about chewed up his tail. He has been hiding, so I think he should be safe until they get used to him. In the LFS, he was just swimming around and having a good old time. Only time will tell.

Thanks!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Yup, he didn't make it! Only lasted two days....sigh...I really like the Blue Devil, but I will take them back once I get my other plans finished....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
royal, royal gramma

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com