Just Added Sand...very cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericsze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a CC substrate that I was unhappy with so I changed it over to a DSB. I went to HD and got some Old Castle play sand, silica free and sterile. The tank is a 29 gallon; already had salt water at 1.022 mixed. After I put the sand in (as carefully as I can) the water immediately turned milky white and foamed. Visibility is no greater than one inch.

Please advise if this is normal, and what's my estimated time before it settles? Or do i need to do a water change and get more salt?

Totally normal. Should clear up in a couple of days but could take up to a week. I would turn off the power heads so that they don't continue to blow the dust around. It probably isn't good for the impeller assembly either...

Thanks, that's reasurring words for a new marinist. Can I leave the power filter running? I'm not sure it's good if I just let the water sit still.

Yes definitly leave something running to cause surface tension do you have inhabitants in the tank? Next time you add sand or any DSB to an exsisting tank try to slide it down a PVC pipe this will decrease the cloud greatly. HTH

Back
Top Bottom