Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just bought a rose anemone, any care tips?

Hi all,
I bought a rose anemone yesterday and let him acclimate to the tank overnight without the lights on. I just wated to know what kind of care do I need to give it? I have a clown fish as well. I also have 130watt pc lighting. What do I need to feed it? how much? how often? Thanks for your help.
Chris

Old 09-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's important to research livestock purchases before you make them.

With that said, my main concern is the lighting...what size tank is this on?

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did research it but research is second to experience so that is why I am asking. Mostly my question is about feeding. I have read that it will reach out when its hungry. Is this correct? The 130watt pc is on a 30gallon.
I am just looking for little tricks and things that people have found while owning such an animal for some time. Different things work for different people so that is why I am asking for what worked for others.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I thought with my 2x96 watt PC lighting over a 40 breeder that my light was sufficient too...but after 3 weeks my rose BTA was dead and dissolving.

Best of luck though.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow! That doesn't sound good. I have read and was told that my 130watt pc was enough. But everbody seems to say something different. Hopefully I will have some better luck.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipvenom
I did research it but research is second to experience so that is why I am asking. Mostly my question is about feeding. I have read that it will reach out when its hungry. Is this correct? The 130watt pc is on a 30gallon.
I am just looking for little tricks and things that people have found while owning such an animal for some time. Different things work for different people so that is why I am asking for what worked for others.
Sorry, your first post sounds like a familiar one where people purchase and then try to figure out how to care for it!

Kept higher on the rockwork, I think your lighting should be fine. I don't directly feed my BTA's as they get plenty of food from when I feed the fish. If you do not have fish or don't feed much/often...a few times a week provide it with some finely chopped fresh seafood (feeding with a turkey baster is pretty easy and unintrusive in regards to sticking your hands in the water).
Old 09-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is ok. After re-reading my post I realized it wasn't clear on that. I did put the anemone up as high as I could to the light. Hopefull it will find a spot it likes at the top of my liverock. I feed my fish a mixed diet of a pellet and frozen mysis shrimp. I am thinking of maybe buying another frozen food so the anemone can have a more varied diet. Silversides? Or is say a frozen formula one better? or both?

Also, how can I tell that the anemone is getting the food put into the tank. Will it reach at it? I haven't really seen any info on that. thanks again.

Chris
Old 09-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could observe while feeding the tank to see if any sticks to the anemone's tentacles. Or, if you want to feel reassured you can get a feeding stick and cut the silversides into small pieces and directly feed them yourself (and other foods). The issue with feeding large foods is that many people think they are eating but regurgitate the food later because they cannot process it.

FWIW, with good lighting, BTA's seem to me to not require much additional feeding.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd agree you should be ok with that light. My bta do fine under 4x65w in a 55g. Mysid is fine but variety is better. Silversides are good if you are chopping them up. Small pieces are better than one large piece. If you are feeding the tank, the anemone will get some of the food as well. No need to worry about that. And if you are supplementing once or twice a week, it's getting plenty.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cover all pump/powerhead intakes with a foam filter! That's my advice.

Tags
anemone, rose anemone, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com