Just bought my first tank! 150g with some fish... questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came across one **** of a deal - 150gal tank, with live sand, aquabee protein skimmer, and a sump; all for $600!

The tank comes with the following fish:
*White Eye Eel, medium size and very active
*Maroon Clown Fish, Large
*Lunare Wrasse, Large
*Foxface, Large
*Pink Tail Trigger fish, Large

Now I want to convert the tank to a reef tank, and I know I need to get rid of the Lunare Wrasse it is WAY to agressive for the other fish. The tank would have came with a lion fish had the wrasse not killed it days earlier!

Some Questions:

-Is the eel reef & Invert. safe? He is a gorgeous fish, and I'd hate to have to move him to another tank
-Is it recommended to put in all of the live rock at a time, or slowly?
-And last - the tank looks to have about 2.5-3.5" of live sand at the bottom. From what I've read, this isn't really an ideal level, should I look at adding a bit more to ensure all areas have over 3" of live sand?

Thanks in advance!

From what Ive gathered since I am about to start mine... To answer some of your Qs.
I am not sure about the eel. Although some are reef compatible with caution.
All of the live rock in at once. The pieces you get later QT would be the way to go then to the main. If no QT then I assume into the main they go.
3" is good however do yourself a favor and ditch all that dirty sand. KEEP A COUPLE POUNDS(this will help with your initial cycle). Get some dry sand and put it in there. I just ordered some Carib Sea Aragonite Dry sand. Yea the sand that is in there now should just be changed every post Ive read on tanks switching ownership or whatnot have said out with the old sand and in with the new. The reason for keeping some of it is to enhance the cycle of your tank.

Thanks fo r the info! What does QT stand for?

And what do you mean by cycling? Does this mean I can't put the fish back into the tank right away? And how should I go about transporting the fish, in a clean bucket? OR individual bags like they come in from the fish store?

It depends if you have to cycle. If you keep the sand and the tank is set up right now then probably not. If its possible to even get some of the water it may not. Mainly you need to keep the sand and/or the filter wet and put them in the new location because they have all the bacteria. Also Whats wrong with sand? If you wash it then it should be fine. If its Aragonite it will buffer up the Calcium. If you do keep the sand when you pour in the water, put a dish at the bottom of the tank and pour the water into the dish. QT= Quarantine

I can get as much of the water as I need actually.

I'm going to get some jugs from a water cooler place and fill a bunch up after rinsing them.

I hadn't planned on switching sand - until I read the post above and thought I needed to.

I should mention the tank is in full operation right now full of water (at the guys house)

Here's what I would. I set up a smaller tank that will hold the fish for 2-3 days. See if the person that owns it right now will let you keep it there until the tank is at your place and up and running. Drain all of the water and place it in the jugs. Remove the live rock and sand and put it all in rubbermaid tubs with heaters and water circulators. Set the tank on it's stand and add 2-3" of new live sand. Put in the rock. Make sure that the peices that you put in for the base to hold the other rocks up is pushed gently all the way to the bottom glass so that there is no avalanches in the tank caused by burrowing fish or snails or whatever. Just make sure to not press it into the bottom piece of glass too hard or you could crack it. Set your other rocks up as quick as possible. Add the old sand then add the water. But don't just dump it into the sand or it will take forever to settle. You can pour it slowly over the rock, or into a bowl, or siphon it in. Let all this sit at least overnight to allow it to clear up. By this time you should have your tank with sump, skimmer, heaters, lights, water circulators all set up and functioning. Make sure that the tank that is holding your fish has the same parameters before placing them in. I would still suggest doing an acclimation before putting them in to the new set-up since you might have to add some new water to make up for what is in the tank that the fish are in. I think that I just about covered everything there. OH, what is the guy that is selling the tank to you telling you to do?? Is he willing to help you in the safe transport of the tank and all the stuff for it? If the tank is running right now, you should have absolutley no problem making the switch. It will stress you fish like crazy, so make sure the tank is absolutely ready for them so that you don't have to do anything else to if for a while except to feed the fish and clean you skimmer.

I don't really have access to another tank, just a bin or something perhaps.

The guy I'm buying from says I can just take the fish out, and then when I get here I can put them back in in the bags we transported them in or something. He has a HEAVY accent so some of the stuff I don't understand lol

Go to walmart or your local pets store and buy a 29 gallon for 40 bucks.. it will do the trick while your setting the tank up... they didnt really tell you what a cycle was... cycle is your tank setting up the bacteria it needs to convert ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. Very important part of setting up a fishtank. also during the cycle your PH will fluctuate badly... in which time can kill saltwater.. even tropical fish. It will be in your interests to let this tank get settles before putting in the fish.... you will kill everything in it if you dont...

As far as the reef you want to put in it.. does it have the proper lighting to sustain it?

Also go invest in a liquid test kit.. API makes a great kit.. comes with 4 glass tubes and 5 bottles to check ph, ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes Will be a good investment. untill you show 0 ammonia, 0 NitrItes and 20 or so Nitrates... your tank isnt cycled and can potentially kill fish...

I'm actually thinking of getting a big plastic bin - that way I have a lid I can put on the top? Make sense?

And I guess these 6 in one strips aren't any good (have them from my fresh water tank).

Also - how long can I have the fish in this quarantine area for? How do I go about keeping that area as warm as well? another little heater perhaps?

How do I go about transfering the fish into the new tank? Just with a net?

And catching the fish - same thing? or is there some other practice?

I'm actually thinking of getting a big plastic bin - that way I have a lid I can put on the top? Make sense?
Pretty much any plastic bin will work, BUT, if you buy the tank, then you will have it later for a quarantine tank when you need it. If it not a matter of IF yo will need it, it is a matte of WHEN you will need it.

And I guess these 6 in one strips aren't any good (have them from my fresh water tank).
I would go and get a hole new set. Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Nitrates, PH.

Also - how long can I have the fish in this quarantine area for? How do I go about keeping that area as warm as well? another little heater perhaps?
You can keep them in there for quite a while as long as there is enough space for them to freely move around. You would just need a small heater and maybe a small water pump with an air hose.

How do I go about transfering the fish into the new tank? Just with a net?
Yup!

And catching the fish - same thing? or is there some other practice?
Do this after all of the rock is out. You will never catch them with the rock in the tank. Just use a net. Two if you have them.

This forum is absolutley AWESOME! Thanks everyone for the great info!

So basically keep the fish in the QT until I get the tank cycled to where it should be?

Also- I'm thinking of adding more Live Sand, I guess I should do that all at once right?

This forum is absolutley AWESOME! Thanks everyone for the great info!

So basically keep the fish in the QT until I get the tank cycled to where it should be?

Also- I'm thinking of adding more Live Sand, I guess I should do that all at once right?

If you keep the water, and just add a bit more sand under the old sand, all you would have to do is wait until the temperature is right, and most of the cloudiness is gone. Then you should be safe to put the livestock in. You wouldn't have to worry about a "cycle"because the water is already in an established tank, and therfore already cycled.

So just to confirm - Cycling is the process of ensuring nitrate, nitrite, amonia & PH levels are in line with where they should be correct?

Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find info on how to fix any of these levels if they become out of wack?

if the cycle is fully finished... the tank shouldnt have spikes... if ever it does.. there is a ammonia blocker called prime... best to use.. if you do infact have a ammonia spike.. to get your nitrAtes back in check.. just a small waterchange every week.. or bi weekly will fix that no problem =D

Back
Top Bottom