just broke my 75 g tank glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy another piece of glass and replace it but i would just buy another tank. Otherwise you will have to remove the frame then the silicone then the glass and resilicone the glass back in its a lot of work. If you have a petland sometimes they have a sale of $1.00 per gallon so you could get one for $75.

Replace the glass ! I did it cost me £10 for the glass and £5 for the silicone

image-625976149.jpg

Attachments

• image-153088584.jpg
    image-153088584.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 127
i was thinking to put a piece of glasss on top off the craked one and seal ir around? what a good sealant for exterior for fish tanks

i was thinking to put a piece of glasss on top off the craked one and seal ir around? what a good sealant for exterior for fish tanks

That will work ... it's been done before.
Just 100% silicone with no additives (specifically no anti-mildew stuff.)
If you're looking for a popular brand name, GE#1 silicone caulk.

PSI will not change no matter what you do, and the weakness will either be under the patch or above the patch. remember glass can NOT flex..it fractures.

Your going to be taking a hell of a chance trying to patch that. Spend a few extra dollars and get a new tank its alot safer then having gallons of water all over your floor and losing some fish

I had a tank that cracked years ago. I took it to a glass shop and had a new piece of glass cut. I then took it to a window maker and had it seales professionally with silicone (aquarium grade). It worked for about 4 months and while I was at work one day, the seal broke and blew out the glass. 29 gallons of water all over my apartment and loads of dead fisf.....and the smell....OMG! Try Craigslist and get another tank if you can or search other listings. Losing sleep at night and worrying all day is not worth it....Trust me!!

Back
Top Bottom