Just cant seem to keep pulsing xena!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm totally interested in that statement Joy - about leathers killing xenia. I'd like to see a link to that so I can continue to research my xenia crash from a few years ago. I did have a coupole of leathers in the tank. Can you tell us where you got that info from?

Leather corals are known to give off mild toxins. In a situation where there are also SPS in the tank you may notice that the SPS will not do as well as they would if there were no leathers in the tank. Water changes and carbon are common mechanisms to reduce their effect.

Just to let you know, it is hanging in there. Most of it dissolved and it has shrunk but, three days later, there are still some tiny branches pulsing away. I have put it out the way of any critters and high up near the light. Also in some fairly hefty flow.

I'm totally interested in that statement Joy - about leathers killing xenia. I'd like to see a link to that so I can continue to research my xenia crash from a few years ago. I did have a coupole of leathers in the tank. Can you tell us where you got that info from?
It was a book I checked out at the library, I can't remember the name of it.

I have leathers in my tank, and I would say Xenia is a very pretty WEED. I have it everywhere, growing on my rocks, in my sand, on other coral, and on the glass..... I'll take scissors and cut as close to the rock as I can, and it'll just grow back.

That is so weird. I have heard everyone saying it is a weed. But I have the same problem...lots of soft corals and Xenia that just sits there.
I changed my carbon filters...again...to see if that will help. Have moved the little patch if Xenia to different locations. Everything else is growing and getting huge...so it has to be something specific to Xenia reacting to conditions, or other coral in the tank.

As regards to reacting to other corals, my first attempt I had none.

But... As mentioned in another thread, I'm currently battling with a bit of hair algae. I think it's the phosphates from the RO water I'm getting from the shop. They are very low on the kit but there is a reading there.

It is a weed IF is settles in well. The problem is that is that it is much more sensitive than other corals to things like changes in temp or salinity. I have not heard that it was particular sensitive to the toxins from leathers, but that may be an issue as well.

I gotta say, I must have a special breed, because I'm not the best with salinity, I mean I try my best to top off everyday, but I've checked it, and for some reason I was up at 1.029 I like to keep it at 1.026 ish if I can. I think that was to due to not waiting the 24hours for a good mix, and the salinity rose after I put the saltwater in. Temp also swings a bit being that it gets hot during the summer. I'd be hard pressed to find a rock that doesn't have any Xenia on it.

Here are my gf tank specs. Sg 1.021, ammonia nitrite 0, nitrates around 20. She uses tap water( to unit is to expensive for a 10 gal tank. Lights are on for about 8 hours a day. Temp 78. Now I know that they'd are not the best conditions ....but with all that she has Xenia just taking off. Mushrooms that have nearly tripled since we got it, and some green star polyps that have almost x2 in size in about 2 weeks. Just goes to show you that even though your tank might not be the best stuff will still grow out of control.( oh and no cyno :) )

I am beginning to suspect that Xenia and star coral don't like the kind of "stripped" water I supply for my hard corals and other softies. I seem to remember during times when I didn't maintain the reef like I normally do (vacation, illness, etc) that the mushrooms and star coral took off, while the hard corals died back. Maybe they like a bit of organic matter in the water.

Gregcoyote said:
I am beginning to suspect that Xenia and star coral don't like the kind of "stripped" water I supply for my hard corals and other softies. I seem to remember during times when I didn't maintain the reef like I normally do (vacation, illness, etc) that the mushrooms and star coral took off, while the hard corals died back. Maybe they like a bit of organic matter in the water.

I agree 100%. Maybe that is why they say that they are easy corals to take care of. You don't need a amazing tank to keep them happy.

Maybe your tank for whatever reason just can't support them. I bought a xenia about a month ago that has almost tripled in size and is spreading on one of my rocks, a few kenya trees with one that's dropped 5 branches in 2 days(each one about 3" long), and a hairy mushroom that's quadrupled in size since I've bought it, and then there is my gsp which hasn't grown at all (still the size of a dime) and I've had it for several months now, longer than the rest of my corals. I figure some things just aren't meant to be in some tanks. My ammonia, trites, trates, and phosphate are at 0.

True true on the carbon. What you could also try is moving them closer to the light or farther away.

Back
Top Bottom