Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

I'm totally interested in that statement Joy - about leathers killing xenia. I'd like to see a link to that so I can continue to research my xenia crash from a few years ago. I did have a coupole of leathers in the tank. Can you tell us where you got that info from?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #22

Leather corals are known to give off mild toxins. In a situation where there are also SPS in the tank you may notice that the SPS will not do as well as they would if there were no leathers in the tank. Water changes and carbon are common mechanisms to reduce their effect.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just to let you know, it is hanging in there. Most of it dissolved and it has shrunk but, three days later, there are still some tiny branches pulsing away. I have put it out the way of any critters and high up near the light. Also in some fairly hefty flow.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'm totally interested in that statement Joy - about leathers killing xenia. I'd like to see a link to that so I can continue to research my xenia crash from a few years ago. I did have a coupole of leathers in the tank. Can you tell us where you got that info from?
It was a book I checked out at the library, I can't remember the name of it.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have leathers in my tank, and I would say Xenia is a very pretty WEED. I have it everywhere, growing on my rocks, in my sand, on other coral, and on the glass..... I'll take scissors and cut as close to the rock as I can, and it'll just grow back.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That is so weird. I have heard everyone saying it is a weed. But I have the same problem...lots of soft corals and Xenia that just sits there.
I changed my carbon filters...again...to see if that will help. Have moved the little patch if Xenia to different locations. Everything else is growing and getting huge...so it has to be something specific to Xenia reacting to conditions, or other coral in the tank.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

As regards to reacting to other corals, my first attempt I had none.

But... As mentioned in another thread, I'm currently battling with a bit of hair algae. I think it's the phosphates from the RO water I'm getting from the shop. They are very low on the kit but there is a reading there.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #28

It is a weed IF is settles in well. The problem is that is that it is much more sensitive than other corals to things like changes in temp or salinity. I have not heard that it was particular sensitive to the toxins from leathers, but that may be an issue as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I gotta say, I must have a special breed, because I'm not the best with salinity, I mean I try my best to top off everyday, but I've checked it, and for some reason I was up at 1.029 I like to keep it at 1.026 ish if I can. I think that was to due to not waiting the 24hours for a good mix, and the salinity rose after I put the saltwater in. Temp also swings a bit being that it gets hot during the summer. I'd be hard pressed to find a rock that doesn't have any Xenia on it.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here are my gf tank specs. Sg 1.021, ammonia nitrite 0, nitrates around 20. She uses tap water( to unit is to expensive for a 10 gal tank. Lights are on for about 8 hours a day. Temp 78. Now I know that they'd are not the best conditions ....but with all that she has Xenia just taking off. Mushrooms that have nearly tripled since we got it, and some green star polyps that have almost x2 in size in about 2 weeks. Just goes to show you that even though your tank might not be the best stuff will still grow out of control.( oh and no cyno )

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com