Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am beginning to suspect that Xenia and star coral don't like the kind of "stripped" water I supply for my hard corals and other softies. I seem to remember during times when I didn't maintain the reef like I normally do (vacation, illness, etc) that the mushrooms and star coral took off, while the hard corals died back. Maybe they like a bit of organic matter in the water.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I am beginning to suspect that Xenia and star coral don't like the kind of "stripped" water I supply for my hard corals and other softies. I seem to remember during times when I didn't maintain the reef like I normally do (vacation, illness, etc) that the mushrooms and star coral took off, while the hard corals died back. Maybe they like a bit of organic matter in the water.
I agree 100%. Maybe that is why they say that they are easy corals to take care of. You don't need a amazing tank to keep them happy.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe your tank for whatever reason just can't support them. I bought a xenia about a month ago that has almost tripled in size and is spreading on one of my rocks, a few kenya trees with one that's dropped 5 branches in 2 days(each one about 3" long), and a hairy mushroom that's quadrupled in size since I've bought it, and then there is my gsp which hasn't grown at all (still the size of a dime) and I've had it for several months now, longer than the rest of my corals. I figure some things just aren't meant to be in some tanks. My ammonia, trites, trates, and phosphate are at 0.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am finding that carbon filtration is helping a lot. That would indicate to me it was chemical warfair.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True true on the carbon. What you could also try is moving them closer to the light or farther away.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com