Just did a tank swap- water still cloudy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently downsized my 55g to a 46 bow front. I didnt want to risk a mini cycle so i used all my rock and water from the old system, i also used the same sand bed i just used about half of what was in my 55, and plan on adding some new.

Anyways, its been about 72 hours and my water is still really really cloudy. I loaned out my test kit so I wont know what my water is testing at until i get off work, than I will post.

When i switched from my 20gallon to my 55gallon, i feel like the water cleared right up with in 24 hours.

Ive done a 25% water change.

is it just the sand still settling? or anyone have any tips?

i was afraid to leave the filter off since i probably stirred up alot of nutrients

Well if the livestock was switched over as well, then I would only turn it off for short periods of time to assist with settling. You'll still need the filtration and water movement for the livestock in your tank to remain healthy...but sand floating around isn't very healthy either.

If you ever switch tanks again I highly recommend you just ditch the old sand and get new, cheapest part of setting up a reef and you won't stir up any bad nutrients

I had a similar issue when I added some bags a live sand to my tank due to having just 1/2" in there. Had to add for my gobies. I put my sock filter on my supply to the sump. I also got out my small HOB filter and put some filter floss in there. Between the two it pulled all that extra silt that got caught in the water column. I took the HOB off the other day and my water is super clear. Even when my diamond goby makes his mounds there is no silt flying everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom