Just found my future reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright well I've been talking about it for awhile and now it is time. I just ordered my 75 gallon predrilled tank for my reef $194 on sale. I will be doing a 20 gallon sump. I bought my heater and have sand and live rock from my 10 and 20 gallons. Now I have to start getting some more dry live rock. Anyone want to help? lol I also need to start looking for a good light setup.

Stocking list:
5 green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 percula clown
1 yellow tang
1 something else

Inverts:
emerald crab
porcelain crab
pom pom crab
scralett hermit
blue leg
halloween
electric blue
nassarius snails
black turbo snails

I am gonna start with a mushroom rock. Then... who knows

Alright well I've been talking about it for awhile and now it is time. I just ordered my 75 gallon predrilled tank for my reef $194 on sale. I will be doing a 20 gallon sump. I bought my heater and have sand and live rock from my 10 and 20 gallons. Now I have to start getting some more dry live rock. Anyone want to help? lol I also need to start looking for a good light setup.

Stocking list:
5 green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 percula clown
1 yellow tang
1 something else

Inverts:
emerald crab
porcelain crab
pom pom crab
scralett hermit
blue leg
halloween
electric blue
nassarius snails
black turbo snails

I am gonna start with a mushroom rock. Then... who knows

Sounds like a man with a plan to me...For dry rock, check out reefcleaners.org. Its $2.25/lb for some really nice looking stuff!

Matt

make that a 55 gallon sump :) What all should I put in it?

well its just an old tank right now, I am gonna divide it up though

I have decided to make my own rock... got some type 1 portlain cement tonight, along with some all purpose sand for the mold making. Tomorrow I will grab some aragonite sand for the mix. I also have a 5 gallon bucket full of shells and coral I have collected from Florida and Hawaii that I will put in the rock. Couple ?'s though. Is Type 1 cement ok? Also when finished, can I put the rock in a local creek to cure it? Water will be moving pretty quickly.

I have decided to make my own rock... got some type 1 portlain cement tonight, along with some all purpose sand for the mold making. Tomorrow I will grab some aragonite sand for the mix. I also have a 5 gallon bucket full of shells and coral I have collected from Florida and Hawaii that I will put in the rock. Couple ?'s though. Is Type 1 cement ok? Also when finished, can I put the rock in a local creek to cure it? Water will be moving pretty quickly.

You are more brave than I, I rember reading a thread about a very experienced reefer having trouble keeping coral with his faux rock. As far the creek, that would probably clean the rock, but it would not cure it because the saltwater bacteria population you need will not build up. Unless its a saltwater creek

What is the standard depth of water that the skimmer needs to sit in in the sump? Will plexi glass be ok to separate the chambers in my sump?

depends on the skimmer,I have a hob v2 skimmer which sits in my sump because of height restrictions ,but I think around 8" should do most.

Back
Top Bottom