Just found out my neighbor has a really nice saltwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think saltwater tanks are really cool, but I don't think I have the money to run one, so I stick with freshwater. Anyway, today I went there to get some water for my tank because mine is no good. His wife was home and she mentioned that he has a tank, so she took me downstairs to check it out, and it was really cool. I would say it's 120-150 gallons. There is an entire closet next to it dedicated to filtration and stuff like that. She said to come over next time he's home and he'd love to talk to me about it and show me everything. I said I'd love that.

I think salt water is so cool and I'm thrilled to have a tank to go check out sometime.

What do you think the initial setup cost of a 120 gallon reef tank is? What about ongoing cost?

mrhelton said:
I think saltwater tanks are really cool, but I don't think I have the money to run one, so I stick with freshwater. Anyway, today I went there to get some water for my tank because mine is no good. His wife was home and she mentioned that he has a tank, so she took me downstairs to check it out, and it was really cool. I would say it's 120-150 gallons. There is an entire closet next to it dedicated to filtration and stuff like that. She said to come over next time he's home and he'd love to talk to me about it and show me everything. I said I'd love that.

I think salt water is so cool and I'm thrilled to have a tank to go check out sometime.

What do you think the initial setup cost of a 120 gallon reef tank is? What about ongoing cost?

It doesn't make any difference now.You're already hooked.LOL

I would get it off of craigslist with all the supplies, it is much cheaper.

+1 - New you're looking at $1200 - $1500 to start-up and the ongoing kinda depends on your addiction.

Currently I have a 54 gallon - bought on CL with basically Tank, stand, light, and sump - with Liverock, sand, and a few fish.

BUT... I'm spending around $300+ per month in new acquisitions, water, electricity, and equipment additions.

You won't necessarily have the same dilemma, but I bet you do!

CL is the best thing though - I find deals all the time. For instance currently in White Lake, I believe there is a 100 gallon full setup with everything you need, all but fish and he is asking $350. He is a motivated seller, so $275 - $300. A steal.

Thanks for the tip. I've been checking every day because I'm getting ready to move and will be looking to pick up a 100+ gallon tank with a nice stand for a good price.

I'd like to talk my wife into making it saltwater but it's gonna be tough (and I can't say I blame her, that's quite an expense)

I don't know where in MI you are, but if you're local, search under Detroit Metro under "Saltwater", you'll have to go back to like 9-4-11 I believe, but its a full setup, turn-key and just add water.

To be honest, if I only performed maintenance on my tank, and stopped buying corals and fish, my tank costs me about $15 / month in water and electricity.

Oh, there is another one, I think under Detroit of Ann Arbor, the guy is selling (2) 180 gallon tanks (1) 100 gallon, a 40 gallon, 20, 10, and 5, plus stands for (1) 180 and (1) 100. All for $300. You have to buy it all, but you could easily put it right back on CL and pay for the tan / stand and make a couple hundred bucks to pay for your lights... Just a thought.

The total cost of our 100g tank with lighting, rocks, sand, sump, fish, plants, the whole 9 yards has costed us around 3500 so far. If you want to check out our full set up with specs and pics just check out my profile.

If you want to start a saltwater tank, I recommend a smaller one. Like a 30-70 gallon tank. Any bigger size would be too much to handle at first.

The bigger the tank the better off you will be small tanks can be hard to control water quality.. As far as cost go it does vary.. 125 gallon reef setup with mid line products and equipment is in the ball park of 4 to 5 thousand..

It depends on how high tec you want to get. If your getting a 120 gallon tank you'll be paying around 6000 dollars if you buy everything new. And high end equipment. However if your taking your time and do lots of eBay shopping, you can set up for a fraction of the cost.

My 72 inch light fixture was 1300 bucks. And that's just light.. But I think that was the only thing I got that was brand new

Exactly.. Plus one to that stuffs expensive but fun its a great hobby but dont get in it if you dont have the extra money cause it just dont work lol... I always have said if you cant do it rite dont get into this hobby very expensive and time.consuming..

Back
Top Bottom