Just got a couple of staghorn hermits. Anybody had'm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
http://www.oceanoasis.org/fieldguide/manu-var.html

Since I,m not the photo into the computer expert, thought I'd provide somebody else's pic of one. Never heard of it until my LFS got some in.

The shell/house is actuall a piece of living coral. He won't scavenge for a new house someday. His coral house grows and he gets rid of the piece he doesn't need any more as he grows.

Hoepfully, my lighting will sustain his home. These things are really unusual and neat. The move across the sand really fast too. Reef safe.

we've had them in the store I work at. I put one in my little reef I have set up there. I didn't have much luck with him in there. They seem to be sensitive. The shell is easier to keep alive than the crab IMO. We have kept a few alive. Sold some and some of them are still alive, so it's not like they're impossible. I wonder if other types of reef hermits ever pull them out of thier coral shells. We've never seen a dead body. Only an empty shell that would still be alive. They are really neat and unique and certainly a welcomed addition. Gotta be watchful though. They can get hung up on things. Guess it goes with having such a pointy house...lol.

Yeah, I was worried about thme getting stuck in the rocks. Even more, If they fall upside down, they might not be able to right themselves.

I just gotta try it though. They are so fascinating.

Ya think my 4 x 65w PCs will sustain their shell/coral?

Wattage requirements for the coral I would assume would be the same for other coral of that type. Nothing less than 3 watts per gallon. 4 to 5 watts per gallon is more preferred. I'd have done the math for you but I don't know the gallon capacity of your tank :)

They are cool. Make sure the tank is well established. Other than that, good luck. If anything, it'll be a learning experience.

Got home this evening and both doing well. Looks like they stay out front in the sand. Not going near the rocks at all. That'll be great if they stay that way.

I'm at about 3.5w per and got decent coral support for what I've got in my profile. I'm hoping for the best. They are so cool - especially if they stay in the front of the tank!

It is nice when an animal you put in doesn't stake out a home in the back of the tank. I was elated when a new dusky jawfish made his home practically front center of the tank.

Good luck with your new critters.

I kept one for about a year, untill the tank crashed from the move. As long as the water is within normal parameters for any sps coral/crab, they will do fine. They stay on the substraight 100% of the time. Be aware...when you lose the crab you will lose the coral. :wink:

Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear. I was hoping they'd stay on the sand. I've read though that the coral stays alive.

That's OK if not, I'd hate to see the ghost of my 2 new critters after they are gone.

I have known several people that owned them and the coral always dies after the crab...

Cool little guy..was always one of my favorites. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom