Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Just got a couple of staghorn hermits. Anybody had'm?

http://www.oceanoasis.org/fieldguide/manu-var.html

Since I,m not the photo into the computer expert, thought I'd provide somebody else's pic of one. Never heard of it until my LFS got some in.

The shell/house is actuall a piece of living coral. He won't scavenge for a new house someday. His coral house grows and he gets rid of the piece he doesn't need any more as he grows.

Hoepfully, my lighting will sustain his home. These things are really unusual and neat. The move across the sand really fast too. Reef safe.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

we've had them in the store I work at. I put one in my little reef I have set up there. I didn't have much luck with him in there. They seem to be sensitive. The shell is easier to keep alive than the crab IMO. We have kept a few alive. Sold some and some of them are still alive, so it's not like they're impossible. I wonder if other types of reef hermits ever pull them out of thier coral shells. We've never seen a dead body. Only an empty shell that would still be alive. They are really neat and unique and certainly a welcomed addition. Gotta be watchful though. They can get hung up on things. Guess it goes with having such a pointy house...lol.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah, I was worried about thme getting stuck in the rocks. Even more, If they fall upside down, they might not be able to right themselves.

I just gotta try it though. They are so fascinating.

Ya think my 4 x 65w PCs will sustain their shell/coral?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 01-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't mind me asking, what do they cost?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I'll PM you on "our" (kinda feels good to say that) cost. We're probably selling them for about $20.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wattage requirements for the coral I would assume would be the same for other coral of that type. Nothing less than 3 watts per gallon. 4 to 5 watts per gallon is more preferred. I'd have done the math for you but I don't know the gallon capacity of your tank

They are cool. Make sure the tank is well established. Other than that, good luck. If anything, it'll be a learning experience.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Got home this evening and both doing well. Looks like they stay out front in the sand. Not going near the rocks at all. That'll be great if they stay that way.

I'm at about 3.5w per and got decent coral support for what I've got in my profile. I'm hoping for the best. They are so cool - especially if they stay in the front of the tank!

Old 01-26-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is nice when an animal you put in doesn't stake out a home in the back of the tank. I was elated when a new dusky jawfish made his home practically front center of the tank.

Good luck with your new critters.

Nov/2004
Old 01-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I kept one for about a year, untill the tank crashed from the move. As long as the water is within normal parameters for any sps coral/crab, they will do fine. They stay on the substraight 100% of the time. Be aware...when you lose the crab you will lose the coral.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear. I was hoping they'd stay on the sand. I've read though that the coral stays alive.

That's OK if not, I'd hate to see the ghost of my 2 new critters after they are gone.

Tags
hermit, hermits, staghorn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com