Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL How many tanks do you have? Are they both 30g?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Activist

only 2 haha and yes.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have an azure damsel and he's great. Like your blue, he was very friendly at first. He still isn't overly aggressive, but he definitely thinks the tank is his. I also have a diamond watchman goby. Gobies are awesome fish. Have you thought about a clownfish?
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes i have and i think thats what i'm going to buy today I know ALOT about them haha. But i wasn't sure whether or not i should buy one or two.... i know they may fight but id love to have two pairs of clowns. Im really just wanting to have lots of colorful fish that are attractive.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd re consider 2 pairs of clowns lol. I thought mine would be ok in a 55g but they are not getting along anymore like they used to. I had to put one pair into a 29 g I still had cycled with cuc. Not sure what is gonna happen in my situation.

But yeah, get 2 clowns for sure. make sure one is a tad bigger than the other.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks! i love the help. and I've been thinking about a Mandarin for a long time, but i heard they were hard to take care of... anyone know a lot about them?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

mandarins are a difficulut fish to keep alive. You need a very very established tank of at least 75g and about 100lbs of live rock. I'm having a difficult time rearing a dragonet scooter which is almost the same fish as far as dietary needs are.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it common to not naturally have a good pod population after a year? I had my 38G w/ 10G sump up for a year, and then I got a Mandarin. NOTE THIS IS NOT TO PURSUADE ANYONE INTO GETTING ONE. But 've had pods from the get go, probably because I got some good cured rock from Premium Aquatics right away, and put a lot of their rock rubble in there that even had a pebble sized layer that was teaming with life. I've only had the mandarin for 2 months, but he seems to always be munching on something, be it rock, glass, powerhead. I did get sad the other week when I saw it at tnight, colorless, thought he was a gonner. I didn't realize they go pale camo at night to blend in. A month ago I got a canary blenny. I should have researched better. I say taht because he doesn't eat anything I put in there. He just eats in the same areas as the Mandarin, but in the sand too. The canary blenny looks like he has such a tiny mouth so I got some frozen baby brine to see if he'd eat them (yeah I realize not a whole lot of nutrition in that) but he doesn't care about that. It is funny to see the clowns go after what looks like nothing in the water. Are they generally a pod eater? Both of them look healthy, at least to my eyes.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've had huge flucutations in my pod supply over the last few months. i have pods in all my tanks, it comes from the LR I believe.

I would only urge people to do ALOT of research and make sure they have the necessary population of stable pods for a time before getting one.

Thats' just me, I have my own pod issues with the scooter. lol
Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have 5 canary blennies and they are doing great. They forage for tiny critters and will also eat some brine shrimp. I also have a huge pod population that all the fish take advantage of, but I won't buy anymore mandarins, I have had several over the years and they always die within a year. Many of my fish are over 10 years old. I don't like killing things.

Tags
30 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com