Just got a new 30 gallon tank! what should i put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an azure damsel and he's great. Like your blue, he was very friendly at first. He still isn't overly aggressive, but he definitely thinks the tank is his. I also have a diamond watchman goby. Gobies are awesome fish. Have you thought about a clownfish?

Yes i have and i think thats what i'm going to buy today :) I know ALOT about them haha. But i wasn't sure whether or not i should buy one or two.... i know they may fight but id love to have two pairs of clowns. Im really just wanting to have lots of colorful fish that are attractive.

I'd re consider 2 pairs of clowns lol. I thought mine would be ok in a 55g but they are not getting along anymore like they used to. I had to put one pair into a 29 g I still had cycled with cuc. Not sure what is gonna happen in my situation.

But yeah, get 2 clowns for sure. make sure one is a tad bigger than the other. :)

Ok thanks! i love the help. and I've been thinking about a Mandarin for a long time, but i heard they were hard to take care of... anyone know a lot about them?

mandarins are a difficulut fish to keep alive. You need a very very established tank of at least 75g and about 100lbs of live rock. I'm having a difficult time rearing a dragonet scooter which is almost the same fish as far as dietary needs are.

Is it common to not naturally have a good pod population after a year? I had my 38G w/ 10G sump up for a year, and then I got a Mandarin. NOTE THIS IS NOT TO PURSUADE ANYONE INTO GETTING ONE. But 've had pods from the get go, probably because I got some good cured rock from Premium Aquatics right away, and put a lot of their rock rubble in there that even had a pebble sized layer that was teaming with life. I've only had the mandarin for 2 months, but he seems to always be munching on something, be it rock, glass, powerhead. I did get sad the other week when I saw it at tnight, colorless, thought he was a gonner. I didn't realize they go pale camo at night to blend in. A month ago I got a canary blenny. I should have researched better. I say taht because he doesn't eat anything I put in there. He just eats in the same areas as the Mandarin, but in the sand too. The canary blenny looks like he has such a tiny mouth so I got some frozen baby brine to see if he'd eat them (yeah I realize not a whole lot of nutrition in that) but he doesn't care about that. It is funny to see the clowns go after what looks like nothing in the water. Are they generally a pod eater? Both of them look healthy, at least to my eyes.

img_1333196_0_3ec5e02c29dc282e5ea69db62a858497.jpg

img_1333196_1_6f3b0ecde713dd26e2d4062adcf1faf3.jpg

I've had huge flucutations in my pod supply over the last few months. i have pods in all my tanks, it comes from the LR I believe.

I would only urge people to do ALOT of research and make sure they have the necessary population of stable pods for a time before getting one.

Thats' just me, I have my own pod issues with the scooter. lol

I have 5 canary blennies and they are doing great. They forage for tiny critters and will also eat some brine shrimp. I also have a huge pod population that all the fish take advantage of, but I won't buy anymore mandarins, I have had several over the years and they always die within a year. Many of my fish are over 10 years old. I don't like killing things.

I have yet to hear of anyone keeping a mandarin alive for over a year, no matter how large, old, established their tank. I think they are one of the best looking fish out there, but I don't think they belong in aquariums because they all just die. Better to get a fish that can thrive.

Clownfish767 said:
Well im keeping mine alive. I'll update everyone on this forum.

If your going to have a fish at least be nice enough to give it a proper home and keep it happy. Not just "keep it alive".

I see you already have a goby, stay away from fish of the same shape (grammas, gobies etc) because as docile as the goby is, it'll get aggressive and territorial against the fish who are the same shape

Back
Top Bottom