Just got a new 30 gallon tank! what should i put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clownfish767

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey! i just recently set up a 30 gallon tank. i'm looking for a community tank set up. (crabs, shrimp, fish, everything haha) if you could just throw out some ideas id appreciate it a :wave:lot!!!!!!!! thanks in advanced everyone!!:wave:

Yea stay away from hawk fish! There awsome but bad news for hermits! Also i have a watchman gobie and tiger pistal shrimp, they make a great pair for a community tank!

its going to be a FOWLR at first but i plan on upgrading to a reef tank eventually. and thanks for the gobie tip!!! i really wanted one of those great to know itl work!!!

The shrimps are great at turning over the substrate too, well exept when mine go's on a mental digging mission and makes the water. Cloudy! Gets all the corals out feeding tho!

So far i have bought a blue damsel, 3 lbs of LR, and (My favorite so far) A blue and pink spotted watchman Goby. Im loving the Goby the most!

Gobies are great. And most of them are easy to keep. Angels are also nice, but some of them might not be good in a coral tank. Damsels are territorial, so I would have either a single one, or a small school.

Hopefully the damsel wont become aggressive with future additions. I have a 3 stripe damsel who thinks the tank is his. But dwarf angels are beautiful but if you plan in getting coral they may nip at them. But I would reccomend a pistol shrimp, their fun to watch making tunnels in the sand bed. They may also form a relationship with your goby.

;/ ughhh power has been out for 24 hours now advice would be nice lol i had a generator that worked for about 20 hours but now its down... ideas?? and the damsel hides from the goby lol. and my emerald crab died and i have no idea why!? chaos lol

Im sorry to hear. But try a battery powered air pump to keep the tank oxyginated and the surface moving. Hopefully the power comes back soon. Goodluck.

Get a small inverter for your car and a long extention cord. This is the most reliable backup power source you could find.

Did you cycle the tank, or using that poor damsel to do it?

I know its al little bit soon, but when i saw the fuzzy face lion face lion fish yesterday i really wanted him. lol okay so now i have a dwarf lion fish a watchman goby and a damsel. the watchman goby is terrified of the lion fish. anytime he gets close the goby darts around.... idk why though... the damsel swims next to the lion fish. the damsel is very small like 1 in and the goby is close to 3.... do you think they will all learn to get along?

3 fish in a span of like 2 weeks? No one mentioned the bioload to you?

You're supposed to wait between getting fish so that your filter can keep up..

Rushing never works in this hobby. Take a deep breath. The damsel fish is justifiably afraid...of being eaten. A lion fish can take another fish that is remarkably large in comparison. They are all predator.

A lionfish? You just added a fish that will eat most any other fish. You should take him back now. They have no place in a reef tank.

Poor damsel, not that I'm a fan of damsels other than clownfish, but still...

Back
Top Bottom