JUST hooked up ro/di any last min words of advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwtowmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
just hooked up ro/di filling up 25gal. bucketw/ my new pure water.when sould Istart putting in supplements.Its a 150 gal tank.just doing 25 gal. to start.Takes forever to make water.anyone w/ experiance have any tips?

If the RO/DI is new you should not use the product water that is produced for the first several hours. Not sure what supplaments you are adding to the water...or why, so I can't advise.

It will depend on how your RO/DI is rated. Most of them are Gallons per day. So, if you get one rated for 25 GPD then that is all it wil yield in a 24 hour period.

when sould Istart putting in supplements

Depends on what you are wnating the end result to be. If you mean Calcium, you will probably want dose the tank. Doing water changes with RO/DI water from what I understand, lowers the calcium in the tank so you will need to dose with Kalk or do some kind of calcium supplement.. I use a daily dose supplemant called OCEANS BLEND

www.r-e-e-f.com

its 100 gpd.I use kalkwasser as make up water at nite .I let it run 1and 1/2 hrs to fush unit .instuctions say 20 min. to half hr. tested water w/ tds meter water tested good(2)just wondering if any tricks or tips?

Doing water changes with RO/DI water from what I understand, lowers the calcium in the tank
I haven't heard that one before. Newly mixed SW has around 400 ppm Ca. It's not enough to maintain the Ca unless you have very little Ca usage.

If you keep the inlet pressure high to your RO membrane, you will get increased efficiency (less wast water, more RO/day). You may want to use a pump designed for this unless your house pressure is high enough. At my house it is 80 - 100 psi so it's not an issue.

If the RO/DI is new you should not use the product water that is produced for the first several hours
Why is this RR? I was showing 0 TDS after a few minutes. Are there assembly lubricants or something that needs to be flushed out?

Doing water changes with RO/DI water from what I understand, lowers the calcium in the tank

It is fact that RO/DI units reduce calcium in the end result. One of the reasons that they are used in health clubs here in Jville for steam rooms and saunas. I know that SW mixes contain enough calcium in the mix to produce the right amount of calcium. I forgot to mention that.. sorry....

Why is this RR? I was showing 0 TDS after a few minutes. Are there assembly lubricants or something that needs to be flushed out?

The TFC membrane is treated with preservatives prior to vacuum sealing. Flushing it for an hour or so (Kent recommends the first 10g) will get rid of the preservative.

pressure on unit between 40-50 psi.The guy who sold it said 1 1/2 hrs .before use Bcause I flushed it. I dont know very new at this.Just taking his word for it.Water is big differance .from tap water like I was using.Ill see if things perk up

If you flushed it for 1.5 hrs I wouldn't worry about it too much. I do think you might consider a booster pump, I think they are designed to be used with pressure around 65-70 PSI or higher.

Water temperature will also effect output. My water is coming out of tap at about 46 degrees F this time of year. Manufacturer states in manual that for every degree below 72 will decrease output by 1.3% of rated output.

the man who sold it to me said that. he also said i sould think about getting a blatter and use that to for drinking the r/o water. :?:.and in colder climate w/ cold water decresses water out put

Back
Top Bottom