Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to chizzle
just need confirmation.

Alright...where to start...theres a couple of factors going on here so I'll try to make it as clear as possible. Oh, btw, my info isnt current, so I'll updated that as soon as I'm done with this. I just remembered The lights are new though - that is vital information. And we are running them for 10 hours total.

First, we've started buying RO/DI water from our LFS. I watched them test their levels & I double checked them when we got home, and there are no excess phosp. or anything unusual in the water. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yesterday I noticed there was a single spot of green hair algae on the glass next to the power head. I moved the power head out further from the glass and wrote it off as it wasn't getting enough circulation.

Today, I look at the tank & there is hair algae sprouting up all over the back glass, and there are bubbles everywhere. It's to the point of my sand is clumping up, and the rocks are completely covered. There is a single spot of cyno, and I turned one of the power heads to point directly at that. I immediately turned off the lights. But there bubbles are even in spots where power heads are pointed directly at them.

Tomorrow we are planning on doing a PWC, and I'll deep clean everything. All the water levels tested out at 0 (even nitrates) and we are only feeding every other day.

I'm assuming this is an algae bloom from the lights, so I will cut that back until this is under control. I just wanted to make sure that this is normal, and there could be no other possibilities.

Aside from cutting down the lights, siphoning, and PWCs, anything else that we can do? Any other causes anyone can think of? Thanks for all the help & sorry for the long post.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Check out these few links to see if you are missing anything

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=14

http://www.fantasyreef.com/showthread.php?t=478

I`m also going to move this to the proper forum. It seems you know what it is but want info on what to do. Moving to SW reef aquaria

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks melosu, your links are always the best

Hopefully cutting down on the lights will take care of it. Maybe there is some other element in the RO/DI water from the LFS that is causing this?

Thank you!

Oh, and thanks for the move. I didn't realize I had posted in the inappropriate forum until after I hit submit.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

One thing about getting water from the LFS and dont get me wrong I got it from mine for 6 yrs but we dont know when they change their filters and membranes. That is why I finally got my own but I saw where you were checking it out with your water test. Hope all works out.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you recently started dosing with Ca, say with a 2-part additive? I noticed some changes with my "algae balance" shortly after I started dosing with a 2-part additive, and that was the only change made to my tank. It was nothing major like you're describing, but it's just a thought.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

No, I'm not dosing with anything - which is one of the reasons I'm so perplexed. Everything seems right but its not adding up. I'm hoping a third party will bring up something my boyfriend & I haven't thought of. Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 01-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Have you checked your phosphate levels?
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Re: just need confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzle

First, we've started buying RO/DI water from our LFS. I watched them test their levels & I double checked them when we got home, and there are no excess phosp. or anything unusual in the water.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Most algae needs nutrients/light to feed off of and even though your pwc water contains 0 po4 you still add a little po4 to your tank every time you feed. Reducing feedings help but doesn't eliminate po4.

Testing for po4 in the tank can be pointless as well since algae will consume most of it giving you a false reading. If you have any trace of po4 in the tank then more then likely it's higher then what the test actually shows.

New lighting can also be a contributing factor but usually not as extreme as you are talking about.

Do you still have the HOB filter? Do you clean it weekly? IME HOB filters really need to be cleaned weekly to maintain proper levels. I also highly recommend using Purigen & occasional use of PhosBan in the canister instead of GAC to keep the tank crystal clear and no3/po4/algae free.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the rest. Does the HOB have a biowheel?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com