Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow maybe I'm doing to much of a pwc, I do 25-30g on my 90g weekly and my salt is $60 and does 200g

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

My lfs sells mixed saltwater for a dollar a gallon . That saves me tons !

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90maniac
Wow maybe I'm doing to much of a pwc, I do 25-30g on my 90g weekly and my salt is $60 and does 200g
There's no set mark on the volume or frequency of PWC's. Do what works for your tanks needs. If that's what it takes to keep your tank healthy then that's what you should be doing.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10

There's no set mark on the volume or frequency of PWC's. Do what works for your tanks needs. If that's what it takes to keep your tank healthy then that's what you should be doing.
Idk what my tank needs. I'm new to this and had some help from a buddy who does it but can't always get help. Currently I have 3 chromis, 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 yellow tang. N than my cuc. Ya it works doing 30g but I wonder if I could do less?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Only one way to find out lol. The PWC's aren't just for your fish though. Your corals need the trace elements that are in your salt to grow. Keeping up with the correct amount and frequency of PWC's will replenish them.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10
Only one way to find out lol. The PWC's aren't just for your fish though. Your corals need the trace elements that are in your salt to grow. Keeping up with the correct amount and frequency of PWC's will replenish them.
I don't have ne corals yet besides the small torch I just bought the other day n a few mushrooms that were on the lr I got
Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90maniac

I don't have ne corals yet besides the small torch I just bought the other day n a few mushrooms that were on the lr I got
Mushrooms can withstand some pretty poor water quality. The torch, not as much. If your levels are all in check and its not killing you to do the amount of PWC's you're doing, I'd say keep it how it is. You could slowly cut back on the volume if you want, just keep testing your water to make sure everything stays in check.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

90maniac....The old school general rule of thumb was to just have a fish only setup with live rock and then after running your tank for close to six months to a year THEN you start adding corals,...the reasoning behind this was that your saltwater tank's parameters will NOT be stable and will fluctuate during this time,.no matter what YOU think,.I remember when I wanted to start adding some corals I had called up marine depot ( ?) to get some bulbs and the first question asked was how long has your tank been running,....when I answered six months,they told me not to even consider it for at least a couple of more months if I was serious about really having a reef setup.
Your water and it's contents are kinda like wine,..you might have great ingredients BUT it just needs time to mature and stabilize before it'll be any good,....bottom line is to go slowly,..research everything BEFORE you start adding livestock,...and if you do start adding corals ,start off by adding something cheap to make sure everything is cool and proceeding normally.

Tags
rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Lion fish | Food? »