Just out of curiosity....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pschmitt

Aquarium Advice Freak
Like everyone else, I'm dreaming of a large tank in the future. I am doing about 5 gal PWC's weekly on my 30. Realistically speaking, owners of 150 or larger what are your PWC's like? How much and how often? If I have to do 15+ gallons every week I would go broke with my current salt mix (TM). :)

Pschmitt said:
Like everyone else, I'm dreaming of a large tank in the future. I am doing about 5 gal PWC's weekly on my 30. Realistically speaking, owners of 150 or larger what are your PWC's like? How much and how often? If I have to do 15+ gallons every week I would go broke with my current salt mix (TM). :)

I normally do between 20-30 gallons weekly on my 135

Wow. That's a [moderator edit] of a maintenance schedule. ;-). So, I'm assuming you are using a more cost effective salt?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pschmitt said:
Wow. That's a [moderator edit] of a maintenance schedule. ;-). So, I'm assuming you are using a more cost effective salt?

Nope.., just part of the game I'm afraid... I use red sea pro.. A bucket makes 175 gals + - for about $60

Last edited by a moderator:
I use instant ocean reef crystals 200g for about $50. :)

I change out 20-30g from my 125g, 10-20g on my 55g and 6g on both my 29g biocube and 20g rimless.

Cool. Sort of happy to just have to worry about 5 gallons a week. :). However..... Some sweet aquariums you guys have.

I have a 150 and I usually do 30-40g a week. SOMETIMES 20, but very rarely. I use instant ocean i think its like $40 for 160.

carey said:
I use instant ocean reef crystals 200g for about $50. :)

I change out 20-30g from my 125g, 10-20g on my 55g and 6g on both my 29g biocube and 20g rimless.

Wow. My LFS is having a sale and its still $58 w.o tax lol. I'm getting ripped off lol. My LFS prices generally run a little high though.

BallinCrew10 said:
Wow. My LFS is having a sale and its still $58 w.o tax lol. I'm getting ripped off lol. My LFS prices generally run a little high though.

:( 25kg (200ish gallons) is about £50 ($100)..... So unfair!! Lol

90maniac said:
Wow maybe I'm doing to much of a pwc, I do 25-30g on my 90g weekly and my salt is $60 and does 200g

There's no set mark on the volume or frequency of PWC's. Do what works for your tanks needs. If that's what it takes to keep your tank healthy then that's what you should be doing.

BallinCrew10 said:
There's no set mark on the volume or frequency of PWC's. Do what works for your tanks needs. If that's what it takes to keep your tank healthy then that's what you should be doing.

Idk what my tank needs. I'm new to this and had some help from a buddy who does it but can't always get help. Currently I have 3 chromis, 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 yellow tang. N than my cuc. Ya it works doing 30g but I wonder if I could do less?

Only one way to find out lol. The PWC's aren't just for your fish though. Your corals need the trace elements that are in your salt to grow. Keeping up with the correct amount and frequency of PWC's will replenish them.

BallinCrew10 said:
Only one way to find out lol. The PWC's aren't just for your fish though. Your corals need the trace elements that are in your salt to grow. Keeping up with the correct amount and frequency of PWC's will replenish them.

I don't have ne corals yet besides the small torch I just bought the other day n a few mushrooms that were on the lr I got

90maniac said:
I don't have ne corals yet besides the small torch I just bought the other day n a few mushrooms that were on the lr I got

Mushrooms can withstand some pretty poor water quality. The torch, not as much. If your levels are all in check and its not killing you to do the amount of PWC's you're doing, I'd say keep it how it is. You could slowly cut back on the volume if you want, just keep testing your water to make sure everything stays in check.

90maniac....The old school general rule of thumb was to just have a fish only setup with live rock and then after running your tank for close to six months to a year THEN you start adding corals,...the reasoning behind this was that your saltwater tank's parameters will NOT be stable and will fluctuate during this time,.no matter what YOU think,.I remember when I wanted to start adding some corals I had called up marine depot ( ?) to get some bulbs and the first question asked was how long has your tank been running,....when I answered six months,they told me not to even consider it for at least a couple of more months if I was serious about really having a reef setup.
Your water and it's contents are kinda like wine,..you might have great ingredients BUT it just needs time to mature and stabilize before it'll be any good,....bottom line is to go slowly,..research everything BEFORE you start adding livestock,...and if you do start adding corals ,start off by adding something cheap to make sure everything is cool and proceeding normally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom