Just picked up a sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the guy at the fish store gave me a good deal on a fairly large orange sponge. Im not sure what kind it is, but it is orange and in the shape of a disc. I've read up on them and know all about their requirements about no aire and plenty of flow with little light. Anyway, do you guys have an pointers about making the ideal situation possible for this guy? TIA....

Wow your picking difficult, risky animals. Most sponges do not do well over time in aquariums. They require specific sizes, types of palnkton that are not readily available to hobbiest or exactly known. They can foul a tank when they die as well. Good luck

Well life is the for the adventerous, and I always make sure that I can provide for an an animal and if I cant I find where I can get him where he will be ok. Here is a pic:

Attachments

• img_1690_469.jpg
    img_1690_469.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 29
Well life is the for the adventerous, , and I always make sure that I can provide for an an animal
Well it's alittle late now, to find out the difficulty, since you already purchased the sponge. I just want to point out that part of being a responsible, successful hobbiest is not buying animals that are doomed in aquariums and contribute to natural reef destruction. That was my point. I'm not trying to be abrasive, just making a point for your and your tanks/animals sake. AFAIK and have seen all sponges are difficult and require target feeding of plankton(phyto and zoo) a few times a week. Except for those that sometimes hitchhike in on LR and survive. Hopefully Melosu can give you some info.

OK, I knew it was going to be a challenge, and I do my best to make the water quality as good as it gets. It never exceeds 10 and have everything pretty much in balance. I know about the feeding, I wouldnt of got it if I didnt think it would have worked out, Ive learned my lesson enough.....

I believe that is the Clathria sp. sponge...toxic. May poison things close to it if stressed. Needs dim lighting but strong indirect flow. Don't place a powerhead directly on it, it'll fall apart. They can grow to about 3 ft wide and tall, need the smallest of phyto. I'd suggest something like DT's oyster eggs or something of a similar small size.

Sorry, nix the oyster eggs and go with regular DT's phyto. The oyster eggs would probably be too large for it to grab.

I dunno about cyclopeeze. If the sponge won't benefit your other corals will though.

I agree go with DT`s phyto it is better for them. One of the problems here is that they need so much phyto that you can foul up your tank with adding as much as they need. I`ve heard of folks taking tank water and putting in a bowl and adding the phyto to the bowl and putting the sponge in the bowl. IMPORTANT : You`ll need to make sure that the sponge does not get exposed to air if you do that.

I had had a small orange ball sponge in my tank for around 2 years now. I have him in an area that does NOT get a ton of flow and he is perched under a rock outcropping. As far as feeding goes he sits at the tail end of teh powerheads water movement so he gets most of his food from there. I do however, give him a direct shot of DT's when I am target feeding my corals that require it. HTH

^That's good to hear beachbummin.
Cyclop-eeze is much larger than oyster eggs(600-800 microns compared to 40-50 for O. eggs). AFAIK it would be way too large for sponges. DT's phyto would be good, in that in addition to possibly directly feeding the sponge, it will fed the pods and increase any naturally occuring zooplankton in your tank. Watch your water quality, as Melosu said.

Thanks for all the replies, Im gonna try several different methods and let you guys know which seem to take the best for future reference.........

So Iwent to the lfs and picked up some dt's yster eggs, didnt have the phyto. In terms of using the bowl method. How exactly does that work. I guess I could just put the recommended amount in the tank, but I want the sponge to get the most food as possible. Can someone please explain the bowl method for feeding the sponge with the oyster egg's?

melosu58 said:
I`ve heard of folks taking tank water and putting in a bowl and adding the phyto to the bowl and putting the sponge in the bowl. IMPORTANT : You`ll need to make sure that the sponge does not get exposed to air if you do that.

Back
Top Bottom