Just realized Petco sold me the wrong fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finnster

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I picked up what I thought was a Blue Spotted Watchman Goby at Petco last week. And he is great, though he rarely pokes his head up. I was surfing LiveAquaria as my tank hasn't been fully stocked yet. And I saw under the ORA section "Blue Fin Watchman Goby" and realized that Petco sold me the wrong fish!!! :eek: But with a little bit of reading I realize, there is almost no difference between the two (size and color, really). My guy doesn't have the black lines on his spiny dorsal fin that Blue Spotted's do, and he is a little more brown than the Blue Spotteds. I can't get a picture as he is hiding in the LR. Lesson learned, only buy what you know at Petco.
Blue Spotted Watchman Goby: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+218&pcatid=218
Blue Fin Watchman: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3353+3432&pcatid=3432
Thanks,
Finnster :fish2:

P.S. How long do I have to wait to put in Pom Pom Crabs with cycled tank w/ fish, cured LR etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, saw him poke his head out like 1 minute ago. Really cool guy!

Not defending Petco,but the supplier would have rightly or wrongly identified the fish.There are so many similar species and differences in appearance as fish grow that mis-identifying the fish happens all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They labeled it as the generic Watchman Goby. The employee said "We usually get Yellow Watchmen, but our manager ordered something different. I believe it's a Blue Spotted Watchman though."

I have a shortcut to Liveaquaria on my phone and it has come in handy many times.Remember regular pet store employees are very rarely knowledgeable in saltwater creatures.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I work at a petco and I can confirm we get in mismarked items at least once a month. Anything from a fuzzy 'chocolate chip star' to an emperor angel coming in as a koran angel. Anyone who is into the hobby can spot the difference and jump on the chance to get a steal of a price

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone who is into the hobby can spot the difference and jump on the chance to get a steal of a price.

Yeah, they just sold him as a "Watchman Goby" for $16.99 so I didn't save any money, but it was cheaper than LiveAquaria!

The funny thing is petco bought live aquaria and that is who is identifying all specimens shipped.

Unless they are coming straight from a distribution center to save costs.

If you are happy now then good. :) It seems the other one gets darker drab color as it gets older and the bright color is when juvenile. So you might have got a better choice overall.

The funny thing is petco bought live aquaria and that is who is identifying all specimens shipped.

LiveAquaria itself doesn't sell them, the Blue Fins are from ORA.

Back
Top Bottom