Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation Just starting off, need some advice!

So I'm pretty new to saltwater aquariums and I need some advice. I bought an etablished tank, but I want to take it further. Here's what I have,

29 gallon tank with...
-Hang on Filter (Marineland Emperor 280 with a bio-wheel)
- Heater (THEO UL Heater 150W)

It has...
-about 35 pounds of live rock
-about 2 inches of sand (looks more like crushed shells)
-Two Ocellaris Clownfish
-One Peppermint shrimp, one Fire shrimp, two small hermit crabs and three turbo slugs

Is the filtration for this tank adequate, I'm going to get a protein skimmer and some better lighting, and a powerhead soon. What else do I need for a healthy tank.
I might want to make it a reeftank soon, is this a good idea?

I Also, I put in two Green Chromis a couple weeks back, but both died. They seemed sick from the start. My second peppermint shrimp also died (I bought these at the local petland, not sure if it's a good place for aquariums). But my tank seems fine, I added my second clownfish two weeks ago and it's doing great, and the water tests came back normal, any ideas?

Old 11-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
if i were you i will get a quarantine tank, that will prevent many illnesses and will make it easier to observe the fish and to fatten up, also that filter will do fine if ou get the simmer, in my opinion lighting depends if you are going soft corals or hard corals if you are going with soft i thing at least 2 t5s will do just fine, also ill buy a test kit if you dont have one, also dont use tap water use ro/di water they usually sell it at the pet store for 20 cents per gallon or you can buy a ro di unit for 95 dollar on ebay, thats what i paid for but they can be really expensive too.and skimmerd dont get the seaclone those suck!!! also dont forget about the salt,and one more thing you have to be patient that was my mistake and because of that one of my fish got stressed and got ich and it wiped out almos all of my fish but my 2 clown

Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the live rock filtration will be fine. But, if the tank has been broken down and your are moving it to your place (with all the livestock separated and the live rock kept moist) I would swap out what sounds like a crushed coral substrate and put in some fine argonite sand.

The crushed coral can tend to store up detrius, which can lead to increased nitrates. It's hard enough to manage water parameters on a smaller tank and the sand bottom will help with that. Plus, it's easier for your CUC to stir up and keep clean.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to abrahamavelar Send a message via Yahoo to abrahamavelar
+1 and sand looks way better in my opinion
Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The green chromis probably died from ammonia poisoning from the tank cycling. Read this to understand.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 and if they didnt died due to the ammonia they died because they got really stressed due that they water parameters
Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

did you cycle the tank?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I didn't think I needed to cycle the tank because it was already established, oops! I'm getting my RO water from my lfs and they test my water.

If I take the crushed coral out and put in aragonite will I need to re-cycle the tank or do I just have to wait till it settles to put everything back in?

I'm getting a Sattelite USA lamp with two 65w cf's, is this any good?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastio12 View Post
I didn't think I needed to cycle the tank because it was already established, oops! I'm getting my RO water from my lfs and they test my water.

If I take the crushed coral out and put in aragonite will I need to re-cycle the tank or do I just have to wait till it settles to put everything back in?

I'm getting a Sattelite USA lamp with two 65w cf's, is this any good?
im not familiar with that light, iyes you will need to cycle the tank if u get sand and if i were you ill put my fish in the Quarantine tank while it cycles and ill add a few raw shrimp to the tank so it cycles a little bit faster
Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is it this light?
Current USA PowerCompact Dual Satellite Fixture

Tags
advice, starting, starting off

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com