Just tore down my tank and it smells RANK!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
So after downsizing my 50g fowlr to a 29g reef, today i drained out all the water and removed the live rock and once the tank was empty it began to stink up my entire house with this rancid, rank metallic smell. i cant even describe it. like the smell of old dirty pennies intensified by a million. i dont understand what could stink so bad in an empty tank with some sand on the bottom and why it only stunk once the water was removed. the only thing i can think of is that i had a large infestation of fanworms everywhere that i obviously dried out and nuked. but ****. I was heaving and retching. anyone ever experienced this or have an idea why? i dragged the tank out onto by back deck for the night it hopes to air it out and kill whatever it is that stinks. i also threw out all the sand. after a healthy dose of lysol, my house is just starting to be bearable. i've never had this with FW tanks.

I've smelled this also when downgrading my 55 reef. I found out the smell was coming from the algae on the glass. It was drying out and it smelled terrible!

Back
Top Bottom