just wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering if a chemical war between corals affect fish or not. I have just been curious about it and I was just wondering what the experts have to say! :D Thanks!

I`m sure it effects everybody in the tank when defensive chemicals are released. To what extent I dont know.

I really dont know. Maybe someone with some experience can help Sorry. I`ll see if I can find something out.

It probably depends in what chemicals/toxins are being released. Some could be more deadly to fish than others.

For the most part, no, I don't think so. I'm sure "Chemical Warfare" occurs everyday in our tanks to some extent, but even where corals may succumb to allelopathy, I have seen fish go on about their business.

Innovator said:
For the most part, no, I don't think so. I'm sure "Chemical Warfare" occurs everyday in our tanks to some extent, but even where corals may succumb to allelopathy, I have seen fish go on about their business.
I can agree with this, until one of the corals die and foul the tank....There are some toxins that are poisionous to fish, but I am not expert on what and, probably the majority of corals for sale are probably safe.

I agree w/ Innovator. I don't think they affect fish either. If they did, there'd be a lot more fish death in our tanks than we currently have in my opinion.

Cool! Thanks for the info everyone. I was just thinking it might explain some of those "mysterious" fish deaths when everything else checks out good. I guess not.

Back
Top Bottom