Juvenile Detention 75g Donation Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starchar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently had the luck of getting a 75g setup donated to me to add to our therapy room at the juvenile detention center that I run. I thought that I would share the build here with you all and appreciate your advice!

Here is the donation list so far.

75g tank with stand
4 bulb t5 light (Aquatic Life w/built in led/timer)
(2) hydor koralia 1150 gph circulation/wave pumps
30g sump
Lifeguard Model 3000 pump for sump
Reef Octopus 110 In sump skimmer
60# dry sand

On the list of things to pickup still...

Salt, hydrometer, 75# dryrock, testkit.

Any thoughts on a stocking list?

Attachments

• 20140623_093506[1].jpg
    20140623_093506[1].jpg
    118 KB · Views: 152
  • 20140623_093513[1].jpg
    20140623_093513[1].jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 20140623_093521[1].jpg
    20140623_093521[1].jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 20140623_093545[1].jpg
    20140623_093545[1].jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 154
Oh wow, sounds like a great job.
You want a Refractometer, not hydrometer, more reliable :).
Is it going to be reef or not? Then I can help with stocking.

Thanks. Not sure where my head was when I was typing that. Definitely not using a hydrometer. I use a refractometer at home and will do the same here.

I am looking to do some corals. Probably some softies, zoas, etc. Nothing too crazy really.

I want the tank to really capture the kid's attention when they are in the room. The purpose of the soft room is to deescalate and decompress. Having a tank in there will help greatly in that respect. Having fish that the kids likely haven't seen before along with some that they do recognize (clowns) I think will be helpful as well.

Maybe, I can get a couple of them interested in the hobby as well.

That sounds amazing, I'll definitely be following along.
As for fish, schooling fish would capture their attention. Maybe a couple of Chromis in there. Obviously the clowns. Then you want a fish to really capture their attention, maybe an angel of some sort?

I would add a torch/hammer/ frogspawn! They really move in the current! I find them mesmerizing!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ill be following thid build seems kike a good idea I know it will spread like crazy but maybe add some pulsing xenia the back and forth motion would be realky relaxing

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finished the plumbing today and am officially leak free! Dry rock should be in next week and I will finally begin to cycle the tank. Also, thought I would give a shout out to Premium Aquatics located near Indianapolis for the donations. I visited their storefront and they have a fantastic selection of coral frags at great prices!

I live an hour away from Indy and haven't been there I have been to The Reef though

Just playing devils advocate, but is the set up somewhere safe from being hit or broken, or otherwise used in a fashion for negative purpose?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What do you want so far for fish?

Personally I'd do:

2x Ocellaris clowns
Midas Blenny
Kole Yellow Eye tang
Orchid Dottyback
Firefish
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Feather Duster

They are all eye catching interesting fish giving a fairly good variety of colors.

Just playing devils advocate, but is the set up somewhere safe from being hit or broken, or otherwise used in a fashion for negative purpose?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is in a safe place. We have converted one of the offices in the administration area into a soft room. We allow kids to use the room to spend time with our therapy dog or to just decompress. We don't take kids in the room who are out of control and access is only under direct supervision. Too much that could happen to not control it.

Tank is filled and the scaping is complete. I added 60# of sand and 75# of dry rock. Also, I picked up a wave controller which I really like.

Attachments

• 20140701_145225.jpg
    20140701_145225.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 94
What do you want so far for fish?

Personally I'd do:

2x Ocellaris clowns
Midas Blenny
Kole Yellow Eye tang
Orchid Dottyback
Firefish
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Feather Duster

They are all eye catching interesting fish giving a fairly good variety of colors.

So I tried to allow each of my administrators to pick a fish that best "fits" their personality. Big mistake of course none of them picked anything that was remotely compatible with eachother or suitable for this size tank, one picked a freshwater species.

I got to hand it to you , doing what you are is a awesome idea , it should help being very therapeutic hopefully to curve the violence , I know how I just get mesmerized looking at my tank , it just may change someones out look
best of luck

Sea Goblin
Some Basslett that was like $300 (That would be eaten by the Sea Goblin)
Octopus
Lemon Shark
Oscar

Love the lemon shark. What about adding a gem tang or some goldfish? Haha

Back
Top Bottom