Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kalk

Used 10 teaspoons of kalk to 5 gallons of top off water ( tank evaporates about 5 to 6 gallons a week. So far it hasn't raised my ph at all. Does that mean its not strong enough?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to crzytrace
Do you have a open top or is it covered? is your house very well insulated? I had the same issue so I put my air intake for my skimmer right by a drafty window and took my glass top off, and my ph went from a 7.7(night)-7.9(day), to 8.0(night)-8.2(day). I also keep my fuge lights on opposite cycle of dt. What are your parameters? 2 tsp a gal is saturated kalk and no more will disolve.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

5-6 gallons a week into what size system?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzytrace
Do you have a open top or is it covered? is your house very well insulated? I had the same issue so I put my air intake for my skimmer right by a drafty window and took my glass top off, and my ph went from a 7.7(night)-7.9(day), to 8.0(night)-8.2(day). I also keep my fuge lights on opposite cycle of dt. What are your parameters? 2 tsp a gal is saturated kalk and no more will disolve.
Ok I have no top on tank house is insulated. Does it take a while to come up from kalk? It's come up a few points. Thx for info
Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzytrace
I have no lids. Does it take awhile for ph to rise. It has come up about .3 thx for info
Old 12-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardridge

I have no lids. Does it take awhile for ph to rise. It has come up about .3 thx for info
Tank size is 80gal
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to crzytrace
ph should be at its peak during your peak lighting hours, rising when your lights go on, and falling when they shut off. I drip kalk overnight to help keep it stable overnight at about 8.2 . the spike from kalk is usually pretty quick. I like to keep a slow steady drip, it takes about 9hrs for a gallon, at least on my tank-a 55g. dont drip too fast or you will get a big spike. if you dont notice a ph increase look for other causes,such as excess carbon dioxide in your home, or low alkalinity. i dont really concern myself with ph other than letting the tank decide where it wants to be and help it stay there. the main reason I drip kalk is to help with my calcium and alkalinity.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com